Books we read in 2024

Akiva

Re: Books we read in 2024

Post by Akiva »

Provenance, by Anne Leckie

Read this book. And Leckie’s Imperial Radch trilogy. She’s superb.
Reel on a repeating loop
Stan

Post by Stan »

Akiva wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:26 pm Provenance, by Anne Leckie

Read this book. And Leckie’s Imperial Radch trilogy. She’s superb.
I've read all her novels. She's the best at intertwining the personal and the epic.
It sounds like you have Translation State to look forward to. It delves more into aliens.

I've been listening to the Singing Hills series by Nghi Vo. They're ~3 hours each and very well written so a nice way to relax while driving. They're about about a monk who goes around collecting stories and getting into adventures. The first is the Hugo winning Empress of Salt and Fortune.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Stan wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:17 pm I've been listening to the Singing Hills series by Nghi Vo. They're ~3 hours each and very well written so a nice way to relax while driving. They're about about a monk who goes around collecting stories and getting into adventures. The first is the Hugo winning Empress of Salt and Fortune.
I read The Empress of Salt and Fortune a while back and LOVED it. My complaint was that I wanted more. I had no idea it was a series. That's awesome.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

A House with Good Bones- T. Kingfisher. A fun cozy horror novel! That sounds weird, but it really works. The plot is simple- a 30-something woman moves back in with her mother when she's between jobs. Weird stuff happens. The daughter and mother get along great. The little town they live in is somewhat charming. Not much happens until the end, but that's okay too. It's cozy! It's comfortable! The characters are incredibly relatable and likeable! It's a short read, but I really enjoyed it. Recommend, even if you're not into horror.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kyle wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:05 am A House with Good Bones- T. Kingfisher. A fun cozy horror novel! That sounds weird, but it really works. The plot is simple- a 30-something woman moves back in with her mother when she's between jobs. Weird stuff happens. The daughter and mother get along great. The little town they live in is somewhat charming. Not much happens until the end, but that's okay too. It's cozy! It's comfortable! The characters are incredibly relatable and likeable! It's a short read, but I really enjoyed it. Recommend, even if you're not into horror.
Yes! So good.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

John Dies at the End - David Wong/Jason Pargin (depending on which printing you get). I have not really anyway to describe this book. I guess it's horror/comedy/sci-fi? At no point time did I have any idea wherre this was headed. Well, maybe only at one point in the final chapter, but the author was really leading you down the path for the big twist at the end as it was dawning on him, so I suppose that's perfectly fine. But I was literally unsure of everything afterwards, and I didn't expect a full on chapter afterwards as an epilogue. I guess it was made into a movie at some point in time? I'll have to look it up. There are more books in the series. I've heard Pargin speek on multiple podcasts, most of which were associated with former Cracked writers (Daily Zeitgeist, Secretly Incredibly Fascinating, I think maybe You Don't Even Like This Show). I always though he spoke very well, and his writing was very casual yet super entrancing. It gets 5 out of 5 soy sauces.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Electric Kingdom -- David Arnold
Post apocalyptic time loop. Really well done. What we see in this book is mostly just a person living through one loop of events, so it's not a bunch of complicated repeating events and time knots.The characters are easy to get attached to. The relationships are well done. The sci-fi elements are subtle and in the background for most of the book.

It's just solid. I recommend.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

The Book of Doors- Gareth Brown. WOW. One of my favorite reads of the year. An adult fantasy thriller that was just refreshing and exciting. The novel focuses on our protagonist, who is gifted "The Book of Doors," on which the first page is inscribed with "Any door is every door." She recognizes that using the book, she can open any door to open through any other door. The permutations of this run much deeper than you think. Peril is afoot, however, when she realizes that there are many other of these wonderous books, each with their own unique abilities. Exciting troubles ensue. This book was so wonderfully written and so smartly plotted. It really is a breath-taking puzzlebox that unfolds on itself in the most satisfying of ways. I adore this book. High recommend.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Seven Empty Houses- by Samanta Schweblin (Author), Megan McDowell (Translator). This is a very short collection of seven short stories. I won't get into all of them, because, for the most part, they just didn't resonate with me. Most of the stories were snippets of a particular scene that ended ambiguously with a world of interpretation that you could read into them a thousand different ways. They left me feeling apathetic. However, there is a single story, that takes up over half of the collection written from the perspective of an elderly woman with rapidly progressing dementia. That story was wonderful, and I'd recommend the book just for that story. Maybe others will find more meaning in the other stories, but they weren't for me.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

What Feasts at Night- T Kingfisher. Kingfisher is becoming one of my new favorite authors. They wrote A House with Good Bones, which I thought was great, and then I discovered that I had previously read What Moves the Dead, which was an amazing retelling of The Fall of the House of Usher. What Feasts at Night is a sequel of sorts to What Moves the Dead, involving our same non-binary former soldier of the Galacian army. Vaguely set in the early 1900s, this short novel involves our protagonist trying to figure out if there is a night hag stealing the breath from people in a remote village. What I love about this story and the previous one is that it is all steeped in the dread and trappings of an HP Lovecraft story, but is well written and strikes a fantastic balance between horror and humor. I love this character and I love Kingfisher's writing style. Hopefully there will be more stories in this series. High recommend.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Anne Leckie, Translation State

Wonderful book. Wonderful writer. I need to read her fantasy book.

Leckie is so good at conveying alien states of mind. It's weird to get used to, but well worth it.
Reel on a repeating loop
Mike

Post by Mike »

Leviathan Wakes -- James S.A. Corey
Looked interesting, so I picked it up. Great book! And I did not know this was actually book 1 of The Expanse until after I finished the story and the end credits told me. If you're not familiar, it's a hard sci-fi story in an extensively inhabited solar system in a universe that does not yet have faster than light travel.

The book starts in media res with pirates taking over a space vessel and then having things go sideways, but the reader is left with a mystery and with a glimpse of something resembling a Cthuluan horror. But I was left unsure of what I read, so maybe it wasn't.

Then it goes on with some great characters, some incredible interplanetary politics, and a plot that wouldn't let me tear myself away. Highly recommend.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cinder -- Marissa Meyer
A dystopian sci-fi reimagining of Cinderella where our protagonist is a teenaged cyborg mechanic living under the thumb of her cruel stepmother. It's really good. It is aimed at teenage girls, and our heroine, Cinder, is a fully three dimensional badass living in a harsh world that doesn't pull any punches. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is also part one of a quadrology, with later books tackling Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White all set in this same universe and evolving timeline, apparently.

Don't misunderstand though. It is clearly a young adult novel, and sometimes the coincidences are a bit too coincidental, and the line between good and evil is a little too clear, and stuff like that, and so many of the "surprises" are very predictable. But the story pulled me in so hard that I acknowledged all of those things as they happened and willingly suspended my disbelief, because... fairy tale.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mike wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:27 am Leviathan Wakes -- James S.A. Corey
Looked interesting, so I picked it up. Great book! And I did not know this was actually book 1 of The Expanse until after I finished the story and the end credits told me.
I love the Expanse - I didn't know it was based on a book series but I would love to read this. Part of the reason I liked the show was some great actors, but it also put a unique spin on space sci-fi that suggests the book would be very interesting.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Leech- Hiron Ennis. I love gothic horror and this is the most gothicyist horror I've ever read. And to boot? The single greatest character arc I think I've ever read in a novel. The story is set in a shattered, post-apocalyptic word that is vaguely an early 1900s-like technology and setting. This first-person narrative is told from the perspective of our hive-minded protagonist who is a doctor that works for "The Institute" where there are hundreds of doctors around the continent, but they're all the same person, but not quite. It's very cool how the character thinks, acts, and narrates the story. Our particular doctor is showing up to replace a doctor that died in a large, decrepit manor to care for a ruthless baron who has been trying to extend his life for decades, even though he should have died many, many years ago. Then bad stuff happens. I don't want to give anything away, so that's all I'll say about the plot. This book is fantastic, bizarre, and unlike anything I've ever read. I loved it. LOVED IT. And did I tell you that it has the single greatest character arc I've ever read? My only knock on it was that, because I listened to the audio book, it was a little difficult to discern at times between what the character was thinking and what she was saying. But it's a minor quibble. The narrator also hit it out of the park. Everything about this novel is great.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Camp Damascus- Chuck Tingle. You may know Chuck Tingle as the author of meme-books such as My Billionaire Triceratops Craves Gay Ass, Pounded by President Bigfoot and Pounded in the Butt by My Book "Pounded in the Butt by My Book 'Pounded in the Butt by My Book "Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt"'". But they've also written some actual books that aren't jokes and this is one of them. This is a horror book that revolves around the titular Camp Damascus, which is a gay conversion camp. It is also the most successful conversion camp in the world with a near 100% success rate. The secret to such astounding results is where the horror comes in. I don't want to really give anything away, because I enjoyed this book for what it was- a very well, written horror book. And what elevates it above the other horror that I read is that it's about a subject that you simply don't see in the horror genre. The characters are well-developed and compelling- and the plot takes turns that I didn't expect, in a very good way. Given the meme-books, I was surprised that Tingle's writing can sometimes be a little too stilted or formal, but it's a very minor quibble. If you're into horror, I highly recommend it.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Pines- Blake Crouch. Several years ago there was a tv series called Wayward Pines. Maybe it starred David Boreanaz? Or at least someone like him. It was about a secret service agent who goes to the rural, idyllic town of Wayward Pines on an investigation, and then realizes he can't leave. Like- he drives down the only road out only to find that it leads back in. So I watched the first two episodes of this and enjoyed it but never kept with it; I can't remember why. Well this is the first book in the Wayward Pines trilogy that the show was based on. Everything I described from the show is what happens in the very beginning of this book. And now I realized I should have kept watching, because holy shit do things get weird real fast after that. (Although I think the show was cancelled after one season, but I don't remember for sure.) I'm going to level with you- a lot of this book is just dumb, but in the funnest way possible. And there's a middle third of the book that is just a lone survival story- but again in a fun way. And then the end happens and you're looking around yourself after experiencing it, like you just heard your dead grandma blast a huge fart in your ear, and you're like, "Holy shit! Did anyone else hear that? What the fuck was that? But, it was awesome right? Right?" Again, really dumb but in the greatest way possible. If you're looking for a fun, escapist romp- then I highly recommend this book. I really had a good time with it and will be reading the rest of the trilogy.

EDIT: It was Matt Dillon, not David Boreanaz. But I'm pretty sure Matt Dillon is now known as an Old Boreanaz. So who can blame me.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

One by One- Frieda McFadden. Not much to see here, but enjoyable brainless entertainment. This is a stock, summer-read murder mystery about three couples whose van breaks down on their way to a remote resort. As they wander lost in the woods, they begin to get picked off one by one. There's nothing unique, but some times this kind of by-the-book mystery is still a fun, short read. Were there too many "twists"? Sure. Were some of them way too contrived and unnecessary? Sure. But it's basically what you would expect. Fun enough and well written. I'm not regretting that I read it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cassandra in Reverse -- Holly Smale
Beautiful! Cassandra has lost her job and her home and her boyfriend all in one horrible day. And then she jumps backwards in time and does it again. And then, through careful study she figure out she can jump backwards and reset time to any point in the last four months, on the day she first met her boyfriend.

What does she do with this extraordinary ability? You have to read it. It is a journey of self discovery and an exploration of autism. It's so very well crafted and incredibly satisfying.

Anything else I say will spoil it more than I already have. Read it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Leech -- Hiron Ennis
Kyle just reviewed this and was so compelling I had to make it my next read. He's right on the money too. It's a far future tale in a post-post-apocalyptic earth, and our protagonist is a hive mind collective, and it works incredibly well. This world is very well developed--a type of future I've never seen explored before. It's absolutely crazy and incredible.

Thanks, Kyle!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

The Fury- Alex Michaelides. Michaelides has a thing. He takes Greek tragedies and makes them into murder mysteries. This is his third. And I liked it. It's extremely well written with an unpredictable twisty, curvy plot. It's set in a locale (a greek island) that's basically a character in and of itself, and the characters are all very well developed. And yet? And YET? I think I'm getting tired of the formula. I feel confident that if this was the first of his books I'd read, it would be my favorite. The protagonist is extremely engaging and compelling and the story quite good. But it felt just a bit too gimmicky for me. Don't get me wrong- I really liked it and recommend it, but I can see that I'm going to tire of this.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:52 pm Cassandra in Reverse -- Holly Smale
Oh dang! I forgot the best part! Everytime I listened, I'd see the book cover on my phone or see the title and author on my car screen. And even though I knew it was almost certainly wrong, I decided the author's name rhymed and pronounced it Holly Smolly every time. Out loud. It never failed to make me smile.

Of course the book finally ended, and the closing credits informed me that Smale is pronounced exactly like it looks. It rhymes with whale and mail.

*sigh*

It was fun while it lasted.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Kyle wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:22 pm The Fury- Alex Michaelides. PLACE HOLDER SO I DON’T FORGET TO POST A REVIEW WHEN I GET BACK FROM MY CRUISE
Absolutely misread this as The Furry.