This Happened

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: This Happened

Postby mimekiller » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:55 pm

in high school, my girlfriend’s dad always gave me shit for working at the movies. the joke’s on him, because his wife is dead now.
akiva
Melancholy Camper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby akiva » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:07 am

Sometimes you just know it's going to be a bad day.
Reel on a repeating loop
SumDumTrim
Pastry Artisan

Postby SumDumTrim » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Every day this week was a Monday.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:39 pm

A friend of mine is estranged from her immediate family. She went to a family wedding in January, so her daughter (she's a single mom) could see a particular cousin, but they sat in the back and didn't talk to anyone, because her mother had made clear she wasn't welcome to be there. Fast forward to this week, and my friend shows up as usual to pick up her daughter after school on Tuesday, and there are a bunch of police and sheriffs there with weapons drawn confronting her.

Turns out, one of her sisters filed an order with the court saying she had substance abuse, poor care of her daughter, had tried to slit her wrists, and was bipolar, manic, borderline depressed, schizophrenic and paranoid (yes, all of those things at the same time!). Her sister also tells police she is dangerous, has a gun and is going to hurt people at the school, so the school was on lockdown while all of this was happening in the parking lot.

My friend cooperates with law enforcement, but is still taken into custody for a psych eval, and her sister takes temporary custody of her daughter for 4 days without my friend's knowledge/permission/approval. By Friday, the police and doctors figure out what is really going on, and they give her daughter back to her. The doctor says in 30 years she has never seen anyone attacked so badly by family and recommends permanent boundaries of no contact. I would also hope to hell they charge the sister with filing a false report, but the sister is wealthy and connected, so who knows if anything will happen at all.

How f#%king messed up do you have to be to do that to your child/sister?
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:47 pm

We’ve had 40 inches of snow in the past 5 weeks. :headslap:
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:59 pm

I read your story above and am at a loss. What the heck goes on with families, I do not even fathom it.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 am

Seriously... I thought things like that only happened in soap operas!

On a more lighthearted note: I went to see Dear Even Hansen with my kids this past weekend in Chicago. It was pretty amazing...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Almost every day, work makes me feel like shit about myself because it shows me clearly how bad I am at it.

I've posted this general thing several times already; what can I say? I'm a broken record.
Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:34 pm

My son Noah lost his glasses 2 days ago. In searching everywhere for them again tonight, I found my missing game case with my Munchkin cards in it. I found my bestest-ever set of earbuds that have been missing for three months. I found Jacob's glove that he lost over Christmas.

The glasses finally turned up in my game night bag, right next to my Godball set.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:19 am

Reel on a repeating loop
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:20 am

Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:49 am

SumDumTrim
Pastry Artisan

Postby SumDumTrim » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:57 pm

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:43 am

It turns out that finding out that you have a leak in your kitchen sink at 10:00 on a Sunday night isn't the best time to learn that! And given that I am incredibly unhandy, I hope we can get someone to fix it today.

And then I found out that we also have a leak in the bathroom sink. Coup-fourré!
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:49 pm

Sink leaks defeat even the handy among us. It is terrible. Winter is here.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:26 am

Reel on a repeating loop
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:35 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Sucks that Notre Dame is burning. And we just signed our son up for a high school trip to France in summer 2020.

Return to “Nerd Babble”