This Happened

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
akiva
Melancholy Camper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: This Happened

Postby akiva » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:22 am

Reel on a repeating loop
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:23 am

dang, do you have a Johns Incredible Pizza in your neck of the woods?
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 am

Reel on a repeating loop
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:27 am

It's a pizza place with the floorspace of a super wal mart that has a half dozen themed rooms, a giant arcade, and a pizza buffet.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:40 am

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:06 am

You never stop worrying about your kids, no matter how old they get. The two oldest, who are out of the house (22 and 19), went to a concert in Milwaukee last night. A serious snow storm was supposed to hit around the time they were supposed to be driving home from that concert. Couldn't sleep at all last night until we heard that they were both safely back home, which thankfully happened around 1:00 AM.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:00 pm

my girlfriends black friend came over and said “olive Wah” instead of ‘au revoir’
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 pm

For all intensive purposes, it's still conveying the same information.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:20 pm

But it sounds like it was a jar-dropping experience.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:05 pm

Today we had a 2 hour early dismissal so we could finish grading.

Tomorrow they've already declared a 2 hour early dismissal due to weather expected around rush hour.

If we have to start working full days again I'll be pissed.
Reel on a repeating loop
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:15 am

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:19 am

We might get as much as 2 inches of New England Clam Powder, Devil's Dandruff, or Connecticut Confetti today...

I don't think it will stick, but it sure will melt and freeze overnight. I hate driving and worrying about ice. I live a long way from cleared roads and frankly if it were not for my tractor-work some roads would not be passable to people without 4WD trucks.

I may make tomorrow a Skyrim day.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:28 pm

My brain has been rickrolled. Not sure who’s responsible, but I’m not happy.
Reel on a repeating loop
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:22 am

Two hour early dismissal due to snow. So no full days this week; having to work a full day on Monday is gonna suck.
Reel on a repeating loop
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:08 am

Our weather forecast for next Monday says we will have a high of 57 degrees... this is after we had a low of -16 degrees earlier this week. That's a temperature change of 73 degrees in less than a week...

Think about it... that's like the temperature going from 90 degrees to 17 degrees in the summer... if that happened, people would FREAK THE HELL OUT! That big of the change in winter? Eh... it happens...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:55 pm

My ex won.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:53 pm

My daughter is dropping out of college.

She didn't get accepted at the state university, even though she had a better GPA and ACT scores than some people who did. Instead, she was put in a program where she could take classes at one of the branch campuses or community colleges, and as long as she completed a certain number of credits and maintained a certain GPA, she would be guaranteed a transfer to the state university to complete her degree. So she decided to go to the local community college. But she's been bitter about it the whole time, and as a result she hates the school, and just doesn't want to be there any more.

We saw this coming. We sat her down a couple weeks ago, before the tuition payment was due, and asked what her plans were. She said at the time that she would continue to go to classes and put in the effort. But yesterday, just a few days after we made the tuition payment, she informed us that she broke down when talking to one of her profs after class and told the prof she hated the school and didn't want to be there anymore. So rather than have her finish the semester and get bad grades, she's going to withdraw instead. We'll get a partial refund of her tuition. And instead, she'll work full-time for a semester or two or three, and figure out what she wants to do and where she wants to go. We'll also be making sure she spends some time with a therapist, since she seems to be dwelling on the negative (she didn't get into the school of her choice) to the point where it's affected her ability to go someplace else.

Hopefully, she'll get her head into the right place, figure out what she wants to do and where she wants to go, and be able to figure out a plan to make it happen. In the meantime, we have to figure out what this will mean in terms of whether we can continue to claim her as dependent on our taxes if she's not living at home, is working full-time, and is not going to school, but we're still providing a substantial amount of financial support.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:16 pm

Oh, and my wife has to have spinal fusion surgery on her neck in a month to address a pinched nerve due to a bulging/collapsed disk.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:12 am

Oooh, sorry about all of this - the disk issue sounds painful! The kid dropping out would be frustrating for me, but then, this type of thing often happens to younger people who aren't finding the path they really want, and turns out to be the catalyst that finally sends them down the better path. If the problem was disliking school because the school was bad, which could be, then maybe when she tries another school it will be fine. Or maybe this is the moment that she says, I'm starting a small business and I'll deal with school later as needed?

Return to “Nerd Babble”