Music Music Music

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Music Music Music

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:10 am

Cool that is definitely one I want to listen to! The following song is very catchy and has been for years now, but it's unfortunate when it comes on the radio and your kids are in the car. If they could have used a good old-fashioned euphemism a couple times everything would have been much better. On the other hand, when the kid is older, I'm pretty sure the song is straightforwardly written from the perspective of Satan and has little enough to do with the mundane definition of sex. So it really does get you coming and going.

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:47 am

Bruno... dunno, don't trust any man who sings songs about his favorite measurements.

Nina Simone is heading to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame! Makes sense as
1. She dabbled in Rock, Soul, and Funk
2. She is adored by the titans of hip hop (aka future inductees)
3. She was wonderful

Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 am

Oh that is glorious that she's being inducted. It's interesting I wonder how she would feel about it.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:33 am

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Ronster, you always post the most amazing songs. It is really quite remarkable. I often have marvelled over where you could possibly find them!

I have a small dispute with this particular artist. If someone mistakes certain people for a pregnant woman, he may well not survive the encounter!

Otherwise it's very inspiring. I have prehensile hair so it goes both up and down and all around.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:33 am

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:42 am

More of my FF5 hi-jinx

Clearly their hair goes 80% down.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:25 am

I'm convinced that there are like three people in the entire United States who listen to this group and for some reason I know all of them.

Regarding your earlier song, one of the best things about that story everyone is talking about is that it gracefully makes clear that many people are always low-level assuming that other people could in theory be serial killers. The reality of this was brought home to me once when I found that I had been talking online with someone who killed a woman in this random sort of way. I have never really been the same since that incident.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:04 am

339. ESG - Come Away With ESG

Sisters/sistas from the Bronx making music equally inspired by disco and punk, produced by the new-wave Factory Records, if White Stripes were led by Meg and wanted everyone to dance, it is fun for everyone. By everyone, I mean me. So much fun for me.

Thank you again, NPRs list of top 150 albums by women!

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:04 am

This is just the best thing.

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:32 am

Started a "Bad Girls" tourney on the Gaming Table. Listen to two songs from the album and pick your fav. Was debating to do this with the latest U2 or Taylor Swift, but thought Bad Girls would be more interesting.

Also, done with my challenge officially! Going to release some stats over the next week or so I think. here's a few

List denting:
Rolling Stone 500 Albums of All Time: Before challenge: 200 -> After Challenge: 275
59 Best Album Grammy Winners 28 -> 59 (complete!)
120 Diamond Albums in US History: 48 -> 69
NPR 150 Albums By Women: a pitiful 15 -> a respectable 56
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:26 pm

365 Albums, repeat listens.

6 albums: Aretha Franklin, Frank Sinatra
4 albums: Kanye West, Taylor Swift
3 albums: Beck, Beyonce, D'Angelo, Run the Jewels, Stephen Sondheim, Steely Dan
2 albums: Adele, Alabama Shakes, Alicia Keys, Arcade Fire, Barbra Streisand, Bonnie Raitt, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Erykah Badu, Gilbert & Sullivan, Janelle Monae, Jay Z, Justin Timberlake, Kendrick Lamar, Lin Manuel Miranda, Lorde, Miles Davis, Miriam Makeba, Missy Elliot, Nina Simone, Outkast, Ray Charles, Santana, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Sheryl Crow, Solange, St. Vincent, Stevie Wonder, The B52s, The Band, The Weeknd, Tom Petty, Weird Al, Whitney Houston

If you count Wham as an extension of George Michael, that'd be 2 for him.

If you count the Trolls Soundtrack and Trolls Holiday as the same artist, that's make 2 too. If you also count them as Justin Timberlake works, then he'd have 4. If you could the Justin Timberlake and Missy Elliot albums as Timbaland albums, that'd make 4 for him too.

I think the Dap-Kings appeared on 6 albums I listened to (the two with Sharon Jones, Marc Ronson, Kesha, Amy Winehouse, & Sturgil Simpson).
Kanye also appeared on at least 6. Ed Sheeran probably appeared on a bunch of these albums too, but I care not to count.

7 albums from a family member of Beyonce (step up your game, Blue Ivy)
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:01 pm

Heh, they were just playing that on the radio this morning. Too early for it, but best wishes on finding love in the cranberry section this year.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Nerd Lemon, Nerd Lemon, Nerd Lemon! A little Marilyn Manson, a little Vivaldi. Mental musics match the surrounding mess of life.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:38 am

Dvorak's Slavonic Dances. I'm in a mostly-classical phase at the moment, and have been listening to albums like crazy and not keeping track of what the heck they are! But I'm also distracted by other things and sometimes using them as background music, which isn't really the intent of the whole albums plan, so we'll see what happens in these last few days of 2017.

My kid shows me how magically easy it is nowadays to put some music into a program online and have it spit out a page of music printed up all nice without you having to DRAW it. Yes I'm a dinosaur. But I'm excited about putting some ideas to paper over the holiday period here.

WHY IS ITZHAK PERLMAN BETTER THAN ALL OTHER VIOLINISTS EVER MADE ON THE EARTH?
I'm glad he is, I'm just puzzled by it. You can always tell it's him, on the radio, whatever. It's not that other violinists can't match his technical abilities or create great sound and great drama, but he is totally unique. He has a dark, velvety purple sound that runs through every single thing he plays. Dark bluish purple velvet with a little shimmer of gold in the light. Same with Yo-Yo Ma. You always know it's him, though he is more like strong crimson with a LOT of golden shimmering going on. Same every time no matter the song.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:43 am

I'm pretty proud of my mixes I send to my friend, here's this year's, featuring all songs I've first heard as part of the 365 challenge. It was hard to narrow down, but here's a cool 90 minutes of goodness...

https://open.spotify.com/user/poorpete/ ... ukgsVmeQ5F

Those regulars who read this will recognize most of songs. Enjoy!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Oooh, I don't have a Spotify account but maybe I should make up one.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:25 am

Here's an Amazon Prime link to the songs without those pesky commercials to ruin the flow

https://music.amazon.com/user-playlists ... PDKIKX0DER
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:58 pm

More rankings from 2017. Rankings for most after 3 listens, though for the 2017 albums I've listened to them more.

Best albums with most content prior to 1950 I first listened to this year:
1. Louis Jordan - The Best Of
2. Gilbert & Sullivan - The Pirates of Penzance
3. Cab Calloway - The Very Best of Cab Calloway (Les Standards)
4. Verdi - La Traviata
5. Georges Bizet - Carmen

Best albums with most content from the 1950s...
1. Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
2. Hank Williams - The Best Of...
3. Little Richard - Here's Little Richard
4. Ella Mae Morse - The Best of Ella Mae Morse
5. Ornettte Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come

Best albums with most content from the 1960s...
1. Nina Simone - The Essential
2. The Band - The Band
3. Miriam Makeba - Miriam Makeba
4. Roberta Flack - First Take
5. Frank Sinatra - A Man and His Music

Best albums from the 70s...
1 Aretha Franklin - Young, Gifted, and Black
2. Donna Summer - Bad Girls
3. Dusty Springfield - A Brand New Me
4. John Prine - John Prine
5. Randy Newman - Sail Away

Best albums from the 80s...
1. The Go-Gos - Beauty and the Beat
2. Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
3. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
4. George Michael - Faith
5. Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris - Trio

Best albums of the 90s...
1. The Breeders - Last Splash
2. Outkast - Aquemini
3. Nas - Illmatic
4. Missy Elliot - Supa Dupa Fly
5. Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow

Best albums of the 00s...
1. Kanye West - Late Registration
2. D'Angelo - Voodoo
3. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
4. Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds
5. Erykah Badu - Mama's Gun

Best of 2010-2015...
1. Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color
2. Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
3. Lorde - Pure Heroine
4. D'Angelo - Black Messiah
5. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

Best of 2016...
1. Frank Ocean - Blonde
2. Beyonce - Lemonade
3. Solange - A Seat at the Table
4. Sarah Jarosz - Undercurrent
5. Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.

Best of 2017!
1. Valerie June - The Order of Time
2. St. Vincent - Masseduction
3. Lorde - Melodrama
4. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
5. Sampha - Process

Return to “Nerd Babble”