My Transgender Son

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My Transgender Son

Postby Tahlvin » Mon May 30, 2016 6:06 am

Was back home for my nieces graduation party over the weekend, and while I had a chance to do it face-to-face, I gave the news to my parents, my mother-in-law, and my four sisters. The parents all reacted pretty similar: unconditional love, figured something was going on but didn't expect it was this. My sisters also all reacted similarly, though not so much with the "I expected something was going on" part, since they don't spend as much time with my son as the grandparents have. And all of them want to encourage him not to cut himself off from the extended family, which is great to hear. I'm not sure he'll want to go back to visit the family at Thanksgiving, since he'll be just a few months into testosterone therapy and may be self-conscious about his appearance. He's talked about remaining on campus and working at the dining hall, since they need people to stay and work over the holiday. But we'll see where things are at when we get closer.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Mon May 30, 2016 4:27 pm

Man... That must be like going through puberty a 2nd time... That would TOTALLY SUCK!

Incidentally, I am reading a book right now in which one of the supporting characters is a 12 year-old trans-girl who has started on hormone therapy. The doctors have told her adoptive family that it will be very much like going through puberty would be for a natural born girl, with the exception of dysphoria due to the fact that she is still pre-op. (The story takes place somewhere along the lines of 30 to 50 years from now and presents a world where transgender issues are still not entirely accepted and some cultures still have issues with all LGBTQ+ concepts... Not a particularly hopeful glimpse at the future, but probably fairly realistic, except for the other aspects of the story... magic, astral beings, ancient weapons with artifact spirits... stuff like that...)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:41 am

I took him shopping for dress clothes this weekend for job/internship interviews. While we've texted plenty of times, it has been a few weeks since I've seen him, and he has been continuing his hormone injections. His voice was noticeably lower, and he said several people had commented to that effect in just the past week. He has also begun shaving once a week. I was going to ask him a couple weeks ago if he needed me to show him how to shave, but apparently I was too late. He said one of the guys in his dorm saw him struggling with shaving and offered to show him how, which was nice.

But man, it is weird to be sharing recommendations on shaving products and tips for how to tie a necktie with him. Just one of those ordinary moments that also seemed so surreal as it was happening.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeah, I would guess that feels a bit surreal. But it sounds like things are going well, which is good!
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:10 pm

So glad things are going well!! Been sending lots of good thoughts
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!

Return to “Nerd Talk”