[Movie] Baby Driver *SPOILERY*

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Mike
Boy of Summer

[Movie] Baby Driver *SPOILERY*

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:55 am

Halfway through this movie, I got super-excited about the NEXT time I get to watch it. The whole family loved it. Jacob's seen it twice. Lisa and I are gonna go watch it again Tuesday. So good!
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Movie] Baby Driver *SPOILERY*

Postby Bluedevyl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:08 am

I was the same way, Mike. I REALLY want to take Cara to see it, but this month is SO hectic. I hope that it's still in theaters at the end of the month so we can go for our anniversary.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:45 am

This is my top movie of the year so far. Not only did I love the movie so much, but the actual filmmaking was incredible-- syncing up those wickedly long shots with the music blew my fucking mind. And even though I hated Ansel Elgort in every other role I'd seen him in- he won me over in this movie. Edgar Wright is a genius and this is his masterpiece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:37 pm

That's just it... there was no wasted sound in this film. Every bell, every gunshot, every siren, every footfall--all of it blended seamlessly into the music in a way that is going to be imitated (badly) a lot over the next ten years. It was an absolutely novel movie experience for me. Crazy good. Jacob was thrilled, and said, "See? This is the sort of thing Deadpool should have been inspiring. The lesson wasn't that superhero movies need to be more violent. The lesson is that you can blend action and humor in new ways so that they support each other."

That just made me wish I could see what Edgar Wright's Ant-Man would have looked like.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby El Jefe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:43 pm

The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Have you seen it, Jeff?
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Even in the trailer, when the Subaru picks up the spike strip and they play the Nintendo 'buh-ding' sound like the car just powered up, all the sounds are amazing.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Enjoy, Jeff!

And stay out of the spoiler thread til then. What if we spoil something real?
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Thankfully, I'm about 90% artificial intelligence by this point who only goes to moves so that he can have something to complain about, and has no possible way to enjoy any form of entertainment in any way, at all, ever again.

At least that's what the internet taught me.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:23 pm

I was lucky enough to know virtually nothing about this movie before I went in. I had an idea that our main character was a driver, and that Jamie Foxx was in it as some sort of criminal. That's all.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:34 pm

This movie completely won me over with the synchronized audio and visuals during the first coffee run. If you didn't catch it all, really pay attention to the lyrics as you watch it the second time.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:12 am

Some thoughts:

1. Did Kevin Spacey never say "Mozart in a Go-Cart?" He says it in the trailers and one of Baby's tapes uses the phrase, but I didn't catch it in the film?

2. I may think differently on second viewing, but my expectations were met at the beginning and in the fantastic last hour, but the exposition sometimes, well, it was the least fantastic part.

3. When John Hamm's character jumped out of the car at the last second in the climax, I had two thoughts. a) this is a horror film where you have to kill the bad guy a dozen times and b) nice of them to show the door opening to the car right before it falls. This allowed Baby to be tricked but not us, in a "don't go down in the basement" kind of way, it ratcheted up the suspense. This happens the other major time Hamm's character "died", when Baby shot him at the diner, we saw him survive, but Baby didn't, again allowing us in on a fact Baby doesn't know.

4. The cast lists Hamm's character, Buddy, as a "former Wall Street trader", though I don't know where, apart from Foxx' character's, Bats', speculation. Did I miss a confirmation? If not, I think this proves that Bats did recon on everyone, which is why Bats knew where Baby lived.

5. hey...

Bats, Baby, Buddy
Debora, Doc, Darling

6. Noticed when channel-surfing with his foster-dad, the TV showed a split-second of this:
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 am

The confirmation of Bats's Wall Street theory comes solely through Buddy's reaction to it. That scene is specifically the tip off of how uncannily perceptive Bats is, and thus how dangerous to allow him any hint of anything personal.

I didn't think Bats knew where Baby lived until Baby showed him. Baby explained his mixes. Bats said to get a tape to prove it. Baby went to get a tape with Bats in the car. I thought.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 am

Zombie
The Zombdigitty

Postby Zombie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:19 pm

I really liked the movie. The opening sequence was the best intro I've seen in a while. It reminded me a lot of Mad Max: Fury Road's opening. As others have mentioned, the music/editing was top notch. This should win all the awards for sound mixing and editing. Couple things to nitpick and why I ultimately placed it a tad below Scott Pilgrim and Shaun of the Dead:

1. Wasn't a fan of the complete 180 Kevin Spacey's character did in the third act. Talked this over with Kyle and he did a good job explaining that Spacey's character always saw Baby as his son and would have protected him despite his threats (which were more for show). Still, even with that explanation, did we really need the lame "I was in love once" line to justify his transition?

2. I'm guessing I missed something. It was pretty established that Spacey didn't use the same squad for more than one job. Baby was the exception to this as he was the good luck charm. So why did he use all the same people for the Post Office robbery? I'm guessing there was a line somewhere that I missed about him having to put it together last minute or something, but I missed the explanation.

3. Kinda wish Queen would have hit harder than it did. They teased the Queen song throughout the film so I was expecting the song to crush it for the finale, but it was one of the worst song/sequences in the movie. Still good, but I was expecting more. Nothing quite topped the opening sequence for me. I almost wish I had never seen the "tequila" trailer because that would have been a great surprise for me in the middle of the film.

I now have crush on Lily James, thanks Edgar W. Also, Jon Bernthal's character saying "If you don't see me again, I'm dead" was fantastic.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:37 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:01 pm

Yup:
Crew One: Baby, Griff, Buddy, Darling
Crew Two: Baby, Bats, No-Nose, JD
Crew Three: Baby, Bats, Buddy, Darling

Agreed that Doc's turn was abrupt, or as he would say, bananas, although it was crowd-pleasing (aka it pleased me). Much like a poor excuse by a Trump fan, I'll buy his "i was in love once" because I'd rather be happy with the film than not.

Still think Baby got knocked out in the car, awoke in the hide-out, while the others had gone to his apartment and returned with the tapes.

Fury Road comparisons are apt, not only because that might've been the last film I saw with Andrew in the theater until Baby Driver. George Miller saw an early cut of the film and gave advice, also previously recommended the camera-car-rig that was used in both films.

https://www.inverse.com/article/33512-h ... sel-elgort

http://www.pursuitsystems.com/
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:44 pm

I don't think the Kevin Spacey turn was jarring. There was a reason that the "nephew" was a nephew. Baby was baby. Doc never used anyone on every job except Baby. He thought of him like his son. I actually thought this before Spacey made the turn.
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Finally saw this. An absolute delight and a work of meticulous craftsmanship.

To me, held back from true greatness by the main character being by far the most boring part of the movie. Still loved it though.

Return to “Nerd Talk”