[Puzzler] Pirate Booty

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Mike
Boy of Summer

[Puzzler] Pirate Booty

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:36 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Puzzler] Pirate Booty

Postby Eliahad » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:54 pm

I saw the explanation for this one elsewhere, so I'm going to bow out.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:57 pm

I love this one. I'd never seen it before today. I was very proud of myself for getting the right answer.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:25 pm

I was being faaaar too altruistic when I was trying this puzzle. I just couldn't understand people being that dickish. I would not make a good pirate.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:52 am

The version of the answer I found had 10 Pirates and 10 pieces of gold, so I couldn't tell if my solution was right. I think I was too generous, but on the right track. (Could you put a link to the solution if there is one with the same formulation as yours?)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:33 am

Do they anticipate what will happen in all possible future decision rounds as part of their rational decision-making procedure in the first round?
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:54 am

Yes.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:00 am

It's a Ted-Ed video.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:02 am

When I first sat down to this, I started from the point of view of the Captain and imagined what happens if I give everyone an even split. But then it occurred to me that the other four pirates could vote to murder me, and then they could split it four ways and each have more... and then three ways, and then two. So I thought maybe I have to offer all of them larger shares to keep them from killing me. I quickly realized I need to start from the other end.

INVISIBLE SOLUTION:
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 am

Going to check the solution after, but posting my guess first, which I assume is wrong:

Update: So close... but so wrong...
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Mike: you assume correctly about the 10 pirate scenario. It is easier with a smaller amount of booty that isn't so divisible. When it is 500, you think about the fact that there's so much of it and people should be greedier.

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 pm

I really don't get it, unless they have to follow the same decision procedure every time without fail and cannot make/break deals and promises with one another along the way.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:28 am

I feel bad for C + E. is happy.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:58 am

DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:11 am

Pareto efficiency to the extreme!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:53 am

Ok, if it's a decision procedure, then it sets up a situation where But I feel the others would make deals to avoid this, to meet the condition of supposed perfect rationality that was also set up in the problem. It's a Game Theory type paradox - rationality actually demands cooperation.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:01 am

When you run into two guards in the woods, one of whom always lies and one of whom always tell the truth, you're not facing any semblance of reality. When the jailer brings you a handful of pills that may or may not be poisoned, why would they give you the balance scale? And then, having given you the scale, why let you use it only twice?

It's an exercise in logic.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:03 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:07 am

Stan WINS!

Return to “The Gaming Table”