Storium

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Storium

Postby Stan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:24 pm

Anyone ever tried Storium?

From what I can tell, it's a semi-freeform rpg site. Characters get 4 strength cards, 4 weakness cards, a background, and a subplot, refills after you play all of them. The DM decides on the scenes and a few other things. Once a scene is set, players play a card, then write a paragraph. A scene ends after a number of cards, with a n outcome decided by how many strength cards. Sometimes, players get to narrate a scene's ending.

I'm considering trying out the free version, either running or playing, if anyone else wants to give it a try. The free game is limited to 6 scenes so it won't drag out.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Storium

Postby Cazmonster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 pm

I am down. I will check later on the price. I just dropped gaming dollars on more parts for Mars Needs Cows.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 pm

OMG that looks awesome, so awesome I accidentally closed all my browser windows I was so excited. :horrified: :banana:
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:28 am

I'm game.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:06 am

Cool!

I started a bit of a story:

As I have only a free account until I've tried it, only 3 players are allowed, so Phoebe, Zen, and Caz fill it up.
Sign up for free and post your username, then I can invite you to join - I'm still figuring things out.

Here's the starting point. I'm hoping for a mix of surreal humor and drama.

You were on a tour boat that explores some of the smaller Hawaiian islands. Then the weather started getting rough. The boat was hit by lightning as it was getting sucked into a whirlpool. After a long, scary minute, the boat popped back up through the whirlpool. The propeller was smashed but you are about 100 yards from an unknown island.

Characters should be crew or passengers on the tour boat. You can create your own concepts and cards, if you wish.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:24 am

My username is "Zensunni" as usual... :)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Cazmonster -

Harrold "Hank" Fielding is a vacationing lawyer in his golden years. I will get the rest this evening.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:10 pm

Dr. Bridget Williams, a vacationing scholar, is partially done. I'll finish her soon...
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:50 pm

Storium is a pretty low-rez interface. I like it.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:14 am

Yea, I think they took into account that many people would be using it through their phone.
So far, it hasn't taken long to learn the basics.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:10 pm

Two great characters so far. Just waiting for the 3rd player to submit her character and we can start.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Messaged you finally! April is a bad month. I will try my best. Summer is so much better. We are now in the period of "Kids have something important to do every single freaking day, eating up every possible moment of free time."
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:42 am

Three great characters have been submitted. I'll start the first scene later today.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:35 pm

First scene is up:

We're all still learning the ropes so don't be afraid to ask questions of out character.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Hmmmm... I'm thinking Josh should get working on that propeller... I plan on picking up the Digital Camera, because Bridget really wants to take some pictures of those things sticking out of the water... (But that doesn't really pertain to one of the current cards... Maybe there's blackmail material on the memory card? LOL)
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:27 pm

The equipment doesn't have to be used this scene. But it's Larry's camera so he has to be beaten first.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:19 am

This is so cool! I'm tapped out on this scene now! It's up to the rest of you to fix the boat and take care of the sharks... I'm a people person! LOL!

Hmmm... I used the "Nudge players" thing... I don't mean to say that people are taking too long, just indicating that I'm out of juice... :)
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:23 am

OK, sorry for delay - I threw mine into the mix and it says I can keep going, but I didn't want to dig into the next challenge without seeing what happens with the first action. In short, working on that darn propeller!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:33 pm

I don't really know what I am doing at this point - do you want me to make up random things about the island or are there parameters to go by? However, I am enjoying it!

Return to “The Gaming Table”