Top Grossing Actors on BOM

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Top Grossing Actors on BOM

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:41 am

buckett- Dwayne Johnson- 34th (27 pts)
Zen- Kenny Baker- Not Listed (0 pts)
Zombie- Anthony Hopkins- 85th (0 pts)
Mike- Adam Sandler- 41st (10 pts)
poorpete- Sigorney Weaver- 71st (0 pts)
Phoebe- Helena Bonham Carter- 31st (20 pts)
Bluedevyl- Stanley Tucci- 7th (44 pts)
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 am

GAME OVER! I'm calling it that Bluedevyl is unreachable at this point.

Final Standings:
Bluedevyl- 257
zombie- 181
buckett- 165
Mike- 106
Zen- 72
poorpete- 69 (heh, heh)
Ronster- 65
Phoebe- 55

Here's a link to the list:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/?vi ... SC&&p=.htm
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:54 am

Going to pretend I got a bunch of zeros just to maintain my score.

Back to shenanigans, just checked on this site:
http://www.the-numbers.com/people/recor ... -all-roles
Counting all supporting, voice over, and cameos:
John Ratzenberger would be #5 all time. Frank Welker would be #3. #2 SLJ.
#1 .......... Stan Lee.

#4 is a guy I never heard of...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Bergen

:cheers:
Zombie
The Zombdigitty
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zombie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:20 am

Blue's a machine. He picked the top actor available 4 out of 6 times. None of his picks were outside the top 15.

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:38 am

This list is bullshit. I wasn't going to even place no matter what happened, but that doesn't change the fact that this is bullshit.

Stanley Tucci plays the comic-relief announcer from Hunger Games and gets full credit for all four movies. He plays an add-on character in Beauty and the Beast (so the 9th most important piece of furniture with minimal lines) and gets full credit. He plays two different supporting roles in two different Transformers movies and gets full credit for both.

Alan Rickman played goddam SNAPE in 8 Harry Potter movies and 6 of them don't count because they're considered CAMEOS??? Fuck you. Rickman doesn't get credit for Sorcerer's Stone? Snape is just a "cameo" in the first five movies. Who do you have to kill to start getting credit for a movie? Oh that's right... Dumbledore. Full credit for Half-Blood Prince.

Bullshit.

Gah... my next guess was going to be Warwick Davis. 8 Harry Potter movies. 4 Star Wars. 3 Narnia. Not to mention 4 fucking Leprechaun movies! But you know what? Warwick Davis doesn't even get credit for Willow! Willow!!!! Val Kilmer gets credit for Willow.

Bullshit.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:45 am

Mike's not wrong. Kyle, can you lodge an official complaint with BOM on our behalf?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:53 am

I think the real issue is that it's a judgment call, and these judgments are made sometimes years apart and by all sorts of different people, some of whom pay more or less attention to the guidelines than others. Is it about billing? Is it how much they got paid? Screen time? I have no idea. The only real solution is either everyone is allowed credit for EVERY movie they appear in... or you wind up with an uneven hodge-podge on some level, because someone is going to have to just make a gut check each time.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:52 am

BOM is only as good as it's records and its records are incomplete.

Did you know ET has the record for most #1 weekends?
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/we ... AT1&p=.htm
That's great since their complete data on that goes back to 1982, and E.T. came out in 1982. I've heard people say "Star Wars" was number one for a year? Who knows? It's pre-1982. It was #1 for every weekend they have data on it.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... rwars4.htm
but if you click on April 1978, you see it's listed competition is 0.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekly/cha ... =14&p=.htm

Adjusted for inflation Gone with The Wind was the #1 film of all time. How about the film that was the biggest before that, Birth of a Nation? Sorry, they have no data on that.

Citizen Kane's lifetime gross, according to BOM, is $1,585,634. Well, that was how much it earned from a single reissue in 1991. How much it made in 1941 and releases over the decades after? <<shrug>>
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:29 pm

I'm not sure that's BOM's fault. I'm not sure how available any box office data is prior to 1980, much less 1920.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:35 pm

And this is the #1 reason for funding time travel research.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Zombie and I were talking about this the other day and my questions were: (1) was that data even publicly available from 1920-1980-- as Zombie points out, there was a time when the studios owned all the theaters- and maybe this info is only available now because of the separation and complicated distribution deals; and (2) even if it were- does it still exist? Meaning- sure maybe there's info on box office in the '30s, but it's since long been destroyed. I mean- a lot of the movies themselves from the 20s and 30s don't exist today.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:57 pm

I agree Snape is always a major character in every Harry Potter, no matter what. Anyway, those of us at the, ahem, bottom of the list are desperately vying to beat the next person up when you cut us off like this. But WHATEVER, I'm going home smug about picking Helena Bonham Carter and Robert De Niro.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:56 pm

I figured that Tucci would be mid 20s, not number freaking 7.

Hanks was an easy guess, and Freeman and Murphy seemed like solid choies, but I figured that Eddie Murphy would've been higher than Morgan Freeman.

Interesting game and list.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 am

Might I say that the look on the current avatar that Blueddevyl has makes it look like he's aghast at having won! LOL!
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to “The Gaming Table”