[Pathfinder] Eliminating Feat Taxes

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

[Pathfinder] Eliminating Feat Taxes

Postby Mike » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:33 pm

No time to explain or discuss as I'm just about to go play Pathfinder, but I'll leave this here:

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Pathfinder] Eliminating Feat Taxes

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Three things I like about this: 1. mobility is a total waste and yeah, it should go. 2. It never has made sense to me that certain combat feats are off limits to professional fighters of average or even better than average intelligence. It just isn't that freaking hard to trip people, sorry. 3. Weapon focus feats should have some benefit for other very similar weapons, even if it's a slightly lesser bonus.

Two things I don't like about this: lumping all those combat manouever feats into single groupings makes those into super powerful feats everyone would take, instead of encouraging investment in particular fighting styles - in short, you get too much for one feat there, and 2. it's not clear why anyone should be able to access power attack in the same way. And it's optional-use.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:48 pm

I see positives and negatives in the idea. Mobility is a great feature to have, but having to burn a feat on it sucks. Merging it into Dodge makes a ton of sense. Turning Finesse into a weapon feature and just making it a choice is an awesome idea. Then I think you could add feats to allow you to add your Dex bonus to your damage, but only with certain finesse weapons. Basically, piercing weapons, maybe slashing, but not bludgeoning. (It's kind of hard to finesse extra damage with a stick, but you can say, hit an artery with either a piercing or slashing weapon, and do extra damage and call that a bonus you get for using finesse.)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:19 pm

I like it. Anything that trims down accounting for character generation has become a win for me.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:38 pm

I like it a lot. I may try it. I don't think the combined maneuver feats are overpowering, because Deft Maneuvers and Powerful Maneuvers each combine three or four base feats, but then you still have to go individual to specialize further.

I've always been annoyed at feats that are only marginally useful but are mandatory, because they prereq so much useful stuff.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:49 pm

Ahhh, I did not realize the lumping of combat manouever feats stopped at the first level but you'd still have to specialize later... That actually IS a good idea, because right now you have to sink two feats into each one.

Return to “The Gaming Table”