Numenera pbp

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stan
Ninja Carpenter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Numenera pbp

Postby Stan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:09 am

By happenstance and whimsy, it looks like I might be running a pbp of Numenera. Initial setup is below. I have 1d4 players so far and have room for a few more. Let me know if you're into that sort of thing.

The characters are accompanying an Aeon Priest - as bodyguard, students, whatever the player wants. The priest activates an artifact and it doesn't work as planned. Everyone is teleported to a totally new location. All the stuff on you is teleported as well. I haven't decided on the priest; they die, are wounded, or don't teleport with you.

From there, you have to either make your way home or make a new life. The new locations has unknown factions, unfathomable devices, and scary creatures. I have some details figured out but don't want to spoil the adventure.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Re: Numenera pbp

Postby Eliahad » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:31 am

[I'm not going to be able to play, I'm afraid, I'm having trouble keeping up with the games I am a part of right now. It's all mental headspace stuff. Anyway, I read the title of this and wondered who was going to be starting a NancaCrash pbp and how that would work.

A girl on a bike smashes into you with her bike.
You are flying through the air.
You fly over the blue girl.
You fly over a pink girl.
You fly over a blue girl.
You bounce and lose 4 meters of altitude.
You fly over a green girl.

etc...
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am

I might be. I've got some of the material for Numenera. I'll look at putting together a character over the weekend and let you know.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:25 pm

I hadn't heard of Numenera before this, but lord knows it is right up my freakin' ally! Would I need to buy the sourcebook or is there an online SRD available? (I could probably spring for the $20 PDF version of the sourcebook, mind you.)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:51 pm

The core book for Numenera is straight up gorgeous in terms of layout and art. Spring for the PDF.

I've been waiting to play Cypher games forever, as it isn't something that finds as much love among my player base. But as much as I'd loved to, PBPs just don't really scratch the right spot for me.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:23 pm

So pretty. I just had to go look. It's like if Talislanta didn't suck.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:06 am

Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:59 am

I think I'll run the game in the giantitp forums. There are 3-4 players there in the game. But the main reason is that the forum has a built in die roller where you write a bit a formatting and a result is inserted when you post.

additional info:

How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Standard for the character type, though you get to pick your own cyphers and oddities. Occultic cyphers count as 2 cyphers for your starting equipment. If you get free armor, don’t pick special armor.

No homebrew but material from other source books is ok. Visitants are allowed. If you wanna be a mutant, roll twice (in the forum) for each mutation and pick one of the two.

Use the forum's die roller. Bottom of the post in IC is fine. OOC if it makes sense to do so. On occasion, I'll make rolls in the interest of time, but it will be rare. I'll do initiative rolls.

From the optional rules section, you can make use of trading damage for effect. You may choose to use weapon distinctions but then you are stuck with the bad as well as the good. Lasting/permanent damage could happen but only in extreme cases.

If you want, pick one thing you want in the game - something that happens, an artifact, a subplot, an NPC. If it's interesting it'll get worked into the game. If I can work it in, you get 2 XP.
You may also provide one line of dialog that some NPC will say at some point. If I use it, you get 2 XP.
Both of these options must be picked at character creation.

Backgrounds preferable, try to keep it under 100 words. Your motivations and personality are more important to cover than past events (except as those events shape your motivations and personality.)

There will be combat but it won’t be the focus unless you go that way. Figuring out what’s going on and working with NPCs will be a big part of the game.

Iniative: Rather than waiting for everyone to get an initiative roll, I'm going to roll once for the players, using the best character's mods, also adding 1 for each level of Speed edge that character has. That determines which side goes first. when it's your side's turn, characters can act in any order. Hopefully, this will minimize the amount of time where everyone is waiting for one person to post.

Try to post about once a day. If we are in combat or a similar situation, I'll wait 48 hours for a response and then go on. If you are going to be a away, just let us know ahead of time and we'll work something out.

Second effort: Immediately after you roll, you may opt to expend effort (or additional effort). At this point, all new effort costs are doubled. For example, suppose you had used a level of effort prior to the roll and spend 3 pts. If you wanted to increased that a level after the roll, it would cost 4 more points. The amount of effort epxended in second effort cannot be greater than your max effort. The total amount of effort expended, counting first and second, cannot go more than one past your normal effort max.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:22 pm

I'll be playing a Charming Jack who Crafts Illusions!

I did a random roll on the Jack Connection table and got a 9: "You’re friends with many people in the community and are generally well regarded." That fit well with that kind of character. A couple of things in the Charming descriptor say:

"Contact: You have an important contact who is
in an influential position, such as a minor noble,
the captain of the town guard, an Aeon Priest, or
the head of a large gang of thieves. You and the GM
should work out the details together."

and

"Initial Link to the Starting Adventure: From the
following list of options, choose how you became
involved in the first adventure."

"2. You instigated the whole thing and convinced the others to join you."

If people want to use that, we can say that the priest in question is my patron or whatever and I brought a bunch of people in to help me serve as guards for him using my smarmienss... A mean charm...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 am

Just to update in this thread... Here's the character image for Ariana Haiden: A Charming Jack who Crafts Illusions:

(Tahlvin, did you decide to roll up a character or not?)
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed May 10, 2017 8:26 am

The GiantITP forums are down it seems... Do you know if this is a common occurrence? I suppose that means the game is on hold for a bit...
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Wed May 10, 2017 8:39 am

This is the first major downtime I've seen on those forums. I don't know what happened. I hope there's no data loss. I had noticed that the search function showed only through January 31st for a while now.

I hope the long lag doesn't kill this game or another that I'm a player in. But whatareyagonnado?
Last edited by Stan on Wed May 10, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed May 10, 2017 8:42 am

Yeah... Kinda at the mercy of the whims of the Interweb demons... I should take the extra time and finish final editing on book 2... :)

Return to “The Gaming Table”