What was the first podcast you listened to and who was the podcaster? Show your work

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What was the first podcast you listened to and who was the podcaster? Show your work

Postby Ronster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 am

For me it was Secrets of Middle Earth and the podcaster was Fr. Roderick Vonhogen...he is still doing podcasting and videos

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: What was the first podcast you listened to and who was the podcaster? Show your work

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 am

I think the Animalcast might have been my first podcast. Like, I literally started listening to podcasts because I was making one. If not my own, then certainly Fear the Boot. One of those two.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Re: What was the first podcast you listened to and who was the podcaster? Show your work

Postby Ronster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 am

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 am

Animalball / NPR is the first and still is the primary, but it doesn't fit well with my wild lifestyle. I struggle to find the right uninterrupted blocks of time for it - I am lucky if I get to listen to a given week and it's more like once a month, sporadic. Sometimes I start and get 10 minutes, get interrupted, try to finish, never finish... it's frustrating. I'm up and down, in and out of things all day long. I listened to the other ones here too - Trivia back when that was going, and the new one by Sawah/SBH.

My husband listens to various non-fiction podcasts around the house and I eavesdrop on those, often with annoyance when the history ones get things wrong or distorted. He was into some of those other very popular ones, true crime stories or mysteries, whatever, I have no interest whatsoever. One podcast I listen to for work purposes, so that can happen in the office once in a while. I follow one YouTube video series that comes out about monthly, and though it's like an amped up version of a podcast, it's a similar type of engagement with media.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 am

My first was Point to Point, a wargaming podcast. One of the hosts was Jason White . . . and I can't remember the other guy's name.
Reel on a repeating loop
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 am

damn, good question....I think the IGN podcasts, it was just wild to me that radio like programs about my hobbies were even a thing.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:38 am

I think it was Animalcast. Which means I blame you for the fact that I now have way more podcasts than I can ever get to in a week. Need to start culling.

By the way, Business Wars is fascinating, they do dramatic re-enactments of major competitions. They just finished up a run on Southwest Airlines versus United and have started a run on Xbox versus Playstation.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 am

I don't really listen to podcasts. I used to listen to these two losers who were brothers bable about how they couldn't pronounce paladin. It was ok.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:16 pm

My first podcast I listened to was probably Slate's first podcast:
https://soundcloud.com/slate-articles/s ... ly-15-2005

I was interested in listening to articles via voice, and so was Andy Bowers at the time. Andy moved Slate into their Gabfest format, and I ate that up for a decade. Of course. I thought this is what podcasts should be! Around the same time, well in early 2006, I listened to the Ricky Gervais Show podcast and from there on (falling off that and onto WTF, falling off that and onto Comedy Bang Bang, then onto all the Earwolf and LA/NY improv comedy podcasts), comedy podcasts have been more and more impressive and more and more important to me. Free comedy podcasts is up there with Wikipedia for the greatest free DIY public works of our era.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:41 am

Animalcast! With these two gentlemen. This is, as far as I know, the only episode they put up on YouTube. I can't believe they missed it in the purge, though.

"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:36 am

Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:35 pm

Wow, you two looked really young back then.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 pm

It's embarrassing how much weight I've put on since then, considering Mike has lost so much.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:48 pm

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:36 pm

I had to try.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."

Return to “Nerd Talk”