Florence

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Florence

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:48 pm

I don't know many people who live in NC or SC, but don't we have at least one guy (Bonefish) who posts here, lives there? Not sure where he is relative to coastline but hopefully making it through ok!
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Re: Florence

Postby mimekiller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 pm

If they don't they will die doing what they loved, screaming for mercy to a uncaring God as flood waters fill their lungs!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Maybe that's the death from congestive heart failure coming to many of us, who knows. Anyway, hoping the guy is OK. Maybe he lives in the hills, but you know, flash floods, other problems.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:14 pm

We might get some rain from it in the next few days, but I doubt it'll be bad. Maryland declared a preemptive state of emergency last week just in case, but I seriously doubt it'll be a problem.
Reel on a repeating loop
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Bonefish checked in on Facebook as doing fine.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:21 pm

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. When I was 6, Hurricane Hugo came through like a damn freight train. I remember watching it twist pinetrees apart like they were toothpicks. It was mildly frightening. Now, Hugo was THE MOST intense hurricane to hit the east cost north of Florida(cuz, seriously, fuck Florida) since, what, 1898? But Hugo was different, hugo came in hot and fast, and kept on trucking. Auntie Flo? She took her time, and whether than high winds, we got a lot of water. Least that's the way it looks to me.

https://goo.gl/maps/5t8zA46gSyC2

This is the street I live on(Come visit when yer in town!). Now, if you look around this area, you'll notice something: Lots of frikken ponds. We're in a fairly hilly area of NC, and in fact, around here, we're sitting ontop of a sandstone slab. The pond outside my window, the one Traton Circle...er, Circles, is fed by a sprign somewhere around here, and drains through the woods to the left of Traton circle(if you were leaving the neighborhood). That green pond on the rightside corner at Gold Hill? It feeds from springs in the woods behind my uncles house(right behind that burnt out ruin on Frostwood), and then has a culvert that spills into the same stream as the pond outside my window. We'll call the pond outside my window "Fishin' Pond" and the overgrown greenish one "Dead Turtle Pond".

If you look down by the intersection of 73 and Gold Hill, the left corner, that area bounded by Azalea road, is full of ponds as well, which all feed into each other as the elevation drops towards Little Cold Water creek.

What I'm saying, is that we've got pretty good drainage, so long as you AINT in the low spots. Like see, if you took a right on 73 from Gold Hill, like you was going into town, you'll see a farm across the street from the Exxon. There's a little bridge(Speed trap, it's 55mph down 73, until you hit that bridge, and it drops to 35mph, and the police like to sit at the car wash and pull people over) over Cold Water, and the corner of that farmer field? Floods pretty regular. Hell, on the other side of 73, going back up towards the schools on Neisler, it pretty much looks like a mangrove swamp all year 'round.

So, we're up on the hills, and all the water went down hill. As water is won't to do(first rule of plumbing: Shit goes downhill. Don't ask me anymore plumbing questions, I'm a damn carpenter).

About the worst thing that happened is that I missed the hurricane party at my buddy's house. One dude dressed up as a T-Rex, and they re-enacted the scene from Juraissic Park where jeff goldblum distracts the T-Rex with a road flare. Yup, that wouldn't been a blast.

Return to “Nerd Talk”