World Cup

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

World Cup

Postby poorpete » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:18 am

Anyone watching/listening?
Anyone has a fav?

Here's my allegiance:
1. Argentina (for Messi)
2. Mexico (for Americano!)
3. Senegal (for Africa, for their energy)
4. Spain (for Barcelona!)
5. England (for being 50 years since their last WC)
6. Columbia (for their style of play)
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: World Cup

Postby buckett » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:05 pm

It's been a great tournament so far!

With the USA not in it, I'm going for France, Colombia, and England - they all have fun, exciting young players. Senegal is really fun too.

Apparently, Mexican fans are currently partying hard in front of Korean embassies, in Koreatown in LA, etc. because Korea's shocker over Germany meant Mexico advanced instead. Gotta love the World Cup. Here they are throwing a parade for the one Korean in Mexico City, I presume:
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Belgium. Always Belgium.

Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:13 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:12 am

Hehe

Columbia and Senegal are playing right now, and it looks like the only way they both can advance is if they tie and Poland beats Japan. Otherwise only one of the teams get in. Now, I don't think I've ever wanted a tie but here we are! Anywho, I hope Senegal advances if only one does. Of course at least one of these may face England in the next round and I'll be conflicted again!

A lot of math going on.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Belgium! Wow
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Dagh, so Senegal is out and England now will play Columbia. I'll be definitely be down two favs by the quarterfinals
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Ya this bracket will be rough.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 am

Lo siento Messi. GOAT player, siempre.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:38 am

OMG it was so close. What a match!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:53 pm

OMG Uruguay making up for it, what an amazing performance!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Remember the RPG Pundit? Wasn't he supposedly from Uruguay? anyway whenever I think of Uruguay I always think of the movie Gigante which I love so much.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:06 pm

I assumed it was some sort of joke/prank, but who knows. Uruguay is an interesting place.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Happy for Uruguay, but man Suarez, I'm glad he doesn't bite anymore, but him twice feigning a serious head-injury and both times the refs ignored him, and both times he gets up and miraculously is 100 percent better, it's... how you say... afuckinnoying
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:02 pm

I feel like once a biter always a biter. Maybe some grow out of it in preschool but I don't think everybody does. Fun fact: I have been bitten twice by two different crazy people of the Suarez mold. In a romantic encounter, you may wonder? No! In totally normal fully clothed situations with other people all around, though the biting was clearly M-to-F desire motivated. Once in the middle of a high school classroom (!! How are police or something not called ?!! That in itself teaches young women a deep lesson about what they're expected to tolerate as normal) and once when playing video games with people. Just, you know, felt like biting I guess! Once I saw Twilight it all made sense - I probably smell nice, like a pan-roasted red potato. Understandable.

Sorry to derail the World Cup musings, carry on, carry on - I have zero preference among today's contests but of course the beloved Iniesta, sorry to see him go. Diego Costa had a better world cup than Ronaldo but nobody in the media cares. Suarez is having a great one and most importantly, has Cavani and an amazing defense that functions like a well-seasoned team behind him.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:44 am

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Holey Moley, Belgium. Sad to see the last Asia team to go, but that's a mighty comeback, and again proof that the best games are when the favored team goes down a point (or in this case, 2!). You either get a great upset or a great comeback. Love it.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Team Begium forever. Quake in their fearsome wake of football dominance.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Definitely rooting for Croatia to whip the tar out of Russia and for Uruguay to beat France! Whoever advances from England/Colombia would be my pick over those other two. Belgium will have a tough match against Brazil but I bet it will be amazing to watch. Belgium is awesome but Brazil really has been clicking as a team playing as one. Exciting!

Return to “Nerd Talk”