Has anyone seen solo yet?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Walrus
Bicycle Repairman

Has anyone seen solo yet?

Postby Walrus » Fri May 25, 2018 9:02 pm

So having seen the last 2 star wars movies and getting steadily more jaded back to where I was when Disney bought the franchise, and further now.
The last Jedi had plot holes you could have lost a death star in, and a storyline that a green/noob gm would consider embarassing for a hack and slash.

I had read some of the legends matterial about Han Solo's back story - and it was awesome. Could easily have been used to make a great movie.
Yet I hear from friends that no-one who is a star-wars fan will be even remotely satisfied with this movie.

So far disney have been stomping around making it obvious that they don't give a tinkers toss for the fans, and are just pumping out shit to go into the cinema.

I guess I am looking for someone to have seen it and tell me my friend was smoking cheep crack or something.

I think a better job was done with Rogue One, which seems to make the others all the more dissapointing and disheartening.
I'm fluent in 4 languages, know a little in 2 others, but all I speak is sarcasm. :sarcasm:
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Has anyone seen solo yet?

Postby Phoebe » Sat May 26, 2018 11:52 pm

YES and it is a PERFECT MOVIE.

PERFECT, Gloriously perfect.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon May 28, 2018 12:25 pm

I liked it. But you and I apparently have different views on Star Was movies, because I love Force Awakens and Last Jedi.

That said, Solo is flawed, but a fun action romp. Like Fast and the Furious. It was better than Rogue One, but not close to the main movies.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed May 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Saw it today with the wife for our anniversary, and we both really liked it. Like Mike said in another thread, my Star Wars experience is limited to the movies, and not any of the cartoons or books, so I didn’t have any sort of expectations going into it.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Walrus
Bicycle Repairman

Postby Walrus » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm fluent in 4 languages, know a little in 2 others, but all I speak is sarcasm. :sarcasm:
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:48 pm

Let's be honest though: the original Star Wars was a fun action romp. Exciting and novel, but a very traditional tale. It was not terribly deep, but it was wonderful and so much fun. I love that film.

Empire was great. A solid film with more complex themes and a darker tone. Then, Return of the Jedi was just okay. A good solid action romp, but with too much of that cutesy-happy kid-appeal action-figure-ready crap that Lucas is so in love with.

Make no mistake--I love them all dearly, but the trilogy got weak at the end. It was good, but it didn't live up to the promise of Empire.

Then we had three shitty movies.

Then came Force Awakens, and we're back to AWESOMENESS.

Rogue One had so much to love and so much broken.

I think Last Jedi was great, but it's full of plot holes and more of that cutesy pandering stuff. Ultimately, I think the value of Episode 8 will be determined by how well it pays off in 9.

So we have a track record of 3 (and a half?) great films out of 9. I don't know what defines a "real" Star Wars movie at this point.

What I do know is that Solo is fun. It entertained me and my whole family. It also has the tightest, most proficient story structure of any of them since the original trilogy. It doesn't show us things that don't have a reason for being in the story. [Compare to the whole Finn-Rose subplot from Last Jedi that could have been almost completely eliminated without altering the outcome of the story in any way.] Solo was a fun action romp, but a really well told one that I thought was true to the characters, added to our understanding of this universe, and fit perfectly with the existing movie canon.

See it. Enjoy it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:35 pm

Yeah, see it. I haven't really studied all the Fast and Furious type pics carefully, but I don't think this is like that. It has some of that special Star Wars joy and glee, but it's not a Jedi movie, so less magicky. More about Luck. I consider that a plus. And as compared to the typical action movie blasting and flashing in your face, it's much more sedate. There is some blasting but it's more like Old Westerns in Space than like How Much Can We Explode Loudly? That too is a big plus.

Return to “Nerd Talk”