[Deep Thoughts] Run to the Border

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Deep Thoughts] Run to the Border

Postby Kyle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:20 pm

What should the rules be for allowing people to immigrate to our country? Should we have open borders? If not, what kinds of limits should we put on it? If we have limits, what kind of exceptions do we need, if any?

Also- what should be the main priority in our immigration policy: (1) national security; (2) economic concerns; (3) humanitarian concerns?
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Deep Thoughts] Run to the Border

Postby Bonefish » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:58 pm

I generally lean towards amnesty with a path to citizenship direction. If you have a job, and minimal criminal convictions*, I think there needs to be a process where you can apply for citizenship. If you don't want to become a citizen? Then back to Mexico, you go(more likely Honduras, Gautamala or Salvadore, but they were harder to rhyme). That seems to easily solve the problem for me.

*really, I'm looking for violent felonies, or property crimes. Soliciting a prostitute shouldn't be a frikken crime.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:36 pm

I don't see humanitarian, economic, and security concerns being separate from each other. According to Dept of Labor, after every major immigration wave our economy has improved significantly. If we let people come out of humanitarian ideals, those immigrants will be able to infuse our economy.

I think we should have a very generous immigration policy. I don't know enough about it and the ramifications to say whether an open door policy or some controls in place are better or worse, but I definitely think we need more immigration, not less.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:17 pm

"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Return to “Nerd Talk”