Don't engage trolls.

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Don't engage trolls.

Postby Kyle » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Ignore them. It infuriates them more than anything else. When a troll says the reason they said something offensive because it was funny and clearly a joke- they're admitting that they're doing it because the want a response- any response from you. Don't give it to them and don't engage. That's more hurtful than saying anything to them.

If you want assistance in this, the board has a function where you can label someone as a "foe." When you do that, the boards will auto hide their posts.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Don't engage trolls.

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:40 pm

So you don't trust your users to properly use a forum they have been posting in for years? sad!
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:48 pm

The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:19 am

If people find this helpful, more power to them. For me, it's a normal thing to engage seriously with people who pop out, imo, more offensive stuff than mimekiller. I don't know why I feel that needs justification, but in case it does, that's why. I've had to live with a different boundary line so I'm used to that.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:59 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:54 pm

That probably explains the difference; I usually don't have an opt-out on engaging with people whose views are repugnant to me, so I am very used to it and it doesn't cause much distress or feelings of windmill tilting. Well, let me rephrase: it does cause distress, but I'm used to that too. I do deal with white supremacists, thankfully not often, but it's a real thing one has to be prepared to handle with equanimity.

Return to “Nerd Talk”