For mimekiller

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Mike
Boy of Summer

For mimekiller

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: For mimekiller

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:50 pm

How about if I bash and castigate? Is that okay? I thought what he meant is that he would really get off hard on the idea of Hulk being the dominant partner in a certain kind of male-male sexual relationship. And I'm certainly not going to castigate him for that because maybe that's kind of hot, who knows.

I might add the fact that he posted it in the first person suggests that he enjoys fantasizing about himself playing that role! Cheers.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:53 pm

And I would love to hear his rationale about deaf people and property. I can't wait to see where that came from.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Feel free to bash and castigate him elsewhere. That's fine.

But I'm really curious about what he was going for. The most generous interpretation of this that I can come up with would be that he genuinely thinks that what he said was funny, and he so misjudged the room that he assumed everyone else would be on board and this would be entertainment for all. But that interpretation would imply that he's oblivious and kind of dumb, and I don't believe he's either. He's proven that he has a brain on him and that he can be insightful. AND he knows that his target audience is solely made up of people on Nerd Pride and more particularly people who posted in that thread. He has had many debates and discussions (sometimes contentious) with most of said target audience, so he knows them and would have a fair idea of the range of reactions his post might elicit.

So given all of that, I am very curious what he was intending. What was he hoping would happen?

(Caveat: maybe some of my assumptions are wrong, but he can correct any assumptions I've made if he chooses to respond.)
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:23 pm

lol its really not that complicated

The idea of a gay hulk struck me as funny

The deaf thing was a stand up comedian joke I heard ages ago in reference to almost the exact topic like "well listen I know this isn't a popular idea but I just think deaf people shouldn't be able to own property"

Both were written because both amused me.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:50 pm

the ANGER at the deaf joke is curious to me because it's such a absurd idea with no basis in reality that it seems more goofy than anything else.

Unless a movement to strip the hard of hearing of property rights is swelling in this country and is receiving enough popular support that it's becoming a deep concern, in that case, you have my deepest apologies.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:27 pm

FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:44 pm

Basis in reality, as I have experienced the very thing. Not a pleasant at all, hence my strong response.

In case you haven't figured it out. I am deaf.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:47 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:10 am

So because you've never personally experienced that your nasty remarks could be taken as nasty by anyone, you think that makes them so unlikely as to be humorous? I would get it if the idea was, this remark that gets thrown at people is so unlikely in its nastiness as to deserve ironic mockery. But that doesn't seem to be the idea? Help me out here.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:23 am

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Of course you're not lashing out. You're provoking. Completely different. Watching people react while you act indifferent... or more specifically, watching people care when you can say that you don't... is something that makes you feel good.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:09 pm

I don't get it. I guess I could see if the idea was so hyperbolic, so incredibly out there, that suggesting it amuses simply by dint of the ridiculousness? The problem is, remarks treating people as less than fully human are actually being thrown around all the time nowadays by people who seem to believe them wholeheartedly! So it's hard to come up with stuff where the hyperbole makes sense as humor. This crack about deaf people is based on a long historical reality, yes? And there isn't context to let anyone know that you're mocking the historical reality rather than the people (assuming charitably that you were, but heaven only knows). I could envision a context where it was clear that such a remark was actually intended to mock the ludicrousness of the idea and its historical reality, right? I didn't take that from it.

The other thing is - I am definitely NOT one of these people, but there are people who really don't like to be around rhetorical ugliness. Sometimes what I see as legit and productive argument is viewed as unnecessary, scary, or even offensive by people who aren't accustomed to the back and forth of that type of dispute. Some people react very, very poorly to sarcasm, and if other people are engaging in that kind of rhetoric, they simply don't want any part of it. My usual attitude is, buck up and deal with it, but this isn't my house, my living room, or my internet forum. This is just my 2 cents theory worth about 1 cent, but a lot of people seem to want to engage in content without having to engage in argument or even heavy discussion (my context here is Babies, RPGs, and other stuff I won't get into for the sake of privacy). They don't want their discussion of Babies dragged down into disputation. They don't even care if it's happening in another thread and they have a choice not to read; the presence of it nearby bothers them and they feel drawn into something distasteful, or emotionally invested in something they'd rather not be emotionally invested in. Again, being a hostile robot, I cannot understand this, but a lot of people feel this way and it ought to be taken into account. So many times, SO many times I feel like I should shut up here and elsewhere. Just completely shut off the tap, you know, because I always have the feeling that my words aren't received the way they're intended. It has been a terrible thing to struggle with unintended consequences of dealing in words poorly, so I have a hell of a lot of sympathy for people who are reviled for something they said, or for being trollish, or whatever. But I also get that the behavior is a problem.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:48 am

Also people are so fucking CHOOSY about what they get outraged on here, didn't some dude call the BIBLE the goat herder manifesto or something? shiiittttttttttttttt Naw the more I think about it the more I'm sticking to my guns, joke made me laugh, if it made you clutch pearls feel free to make a me a foe and never be darkened by my posts again.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:11 am

That's not my way. If I have a problem I'll just say so.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:51 am

Also the hulk smash booty hole GOOF isn't putting a negative connotation on BOOTY HOLE SMASHING, SEX IS FUNNY, FUCKING FUNNY.

IF I said HULK IS GIANT FAG or something equally just ok yea mime you're just trying to ruffle feathers that's one thing but HULK ENGAGED in any sort of sex is funnnny funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:17 am

Intentions aside, weren't these opinions posted in the "unpopular opinions" thread?

Because if they were..... I'm not sure that there's a right to complain.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:48 pm

I don't know how other people might view this, but I don't think denying the equal humanity of people is a mere "opinion", so that's how I respond to it, especially when I have no explanation to suggest otherwise.

Unpopular opinions... My attitude is that people can discuss those however they like, and nobody is obligated to respond or explain them further. But I also understand that a lot of people don't like this process. Or maybe people feel bad when things that are very important to their life or that they do for a living are mocked or attacked, who knows. If that were me, I'd just respond like usual. But I wouldn't blame anyone if they were upset after being the subject of that kind of thing.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Return to “Nerd Talk”