[Deep Thoughts] Help Me Help You

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Deep Thoughts] Help Me Help You

Postby Kyle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Should governments make laws to protect people from hurting themselves?
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Deep Thoughts] Help Me Help You

Postby WillyGilligan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm not a fan of victimless crimes. I'm sort of okay with seatbelt laws, since you can become a projectile in an accident, but not much further than that.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Sometimes.

Because I feel that one role of the government is to ensure that all people have access to affordable or free health care. When you realize that the cost of your "victimless" crime can be that the government (and thus all people) have to pay for your mistakes for the rest of your life, then there's an argument to be made. Seatbelt laws are about the simplest of these.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:10 pm

It's a really interesting philosophical question, my guiding star when it comes to laws is "do I want someone to die for breaking this law?" and with the amount of malfeasance and violence in todays police force that becomes a much more heavy question.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Yes, always. Mandatory Tai Chi and vegetables for everyone, from now on.

Return to “Nerd Talk”