[Deep Thoughts] Know It When I See It

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Deep Thoughts] Know It When I See It

Postby Kyle » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:15 am

What is the purpose of art in society?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Deep Thoughts] Know It When I See It

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:33 am

There are many purposes: propaganda, self-expression, hate and intimidation and oppression, love and encouragement and celebration. It depends on the artists as well as the audience.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:01 am

To keep Tarantino busy.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Reika
Pastry Artisan

Postby Reika » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:30 am

As a writer it's because I have a story in my head that I want to share with characters who have things to say.

Friends of mine who draw, paint, sculpt, etc. Have said they have an image or a feeling they want to get out.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Empathy
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:41 pm

No single purpose.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:15 pm

Every purpose that touches on communication. It has the advantage of the inherent proviso that interpretation is subjective. Since art is as old as humanity (older, perhaps if you look at bird nests and fish nests which they purposely construct to communicate) its impacts are deeper magic than anything else we know or pretend to understand.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."

Return to “Nerd Talk”