[Deep Thoughts]You Take Them Both and Then You Have

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Deep Thoughts]You Take Them Both and Then You Have

Postby Kyle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 pm

What is the most uplifting thing happening in the world right now? What is the most tragic thing?
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Deep Thoughts]You Take Them Both and Then You Have

Postby Bonefish » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Most uplifting? NASA finally came out and agreed with me. That was cool.

Most tragic? Probably the ongoing genocide in the global south.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Most tragic was when I cut my finger.

Most uplifting was this story I read about a guy who fell in an open manhole and died. That shit was hilarious.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:25 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:32 am

Nuclear rockets. FINALLY. I've been belaboring this point for a decade or so(THANK YOU GURPS!), and they finally released a press release detailing their research into them, and the press release pretty much said: "Yeah, this is the only way to get to mars. ". Thank the lord! No more ridiculously stupid 18 month one-way trip proposals for a marshot!
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:12 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:42 pm

I mean, "better" starts getting into a serious of trade-offs when you are talking about anything past fission and fusion torches. An antimatter pion drive is really nice, but the plume of radiation it leaves for astronomical units might be a bit of a negative for near earth travel.

I mean, a teleporter would be ideal, but sadly, we are limited via physics, currently.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:29 pm

I feel somewhat limited by metaphysics, too, when it comes to teleporters. Let's put it this way: when they come up with one, you others can try it first.

Return to “Nerd Talk”