[Deep Thoughts] Now I'm Just Fucking With You

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Deep Thoughts] Now I'm Just Fucking With You

Postby Kyle » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:04 am

How much is a human life worth in current US dollars? What about a life in 1920? Would you adjust it for inflation?
El Jefe
Cleric Thief
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Deep Thoughts] Now I'm Just Fucking With You

Postby El Jefe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:00 pm

For the writer, director, and director of photography for Suicide Squad?

Exactly how much it takes to pay back everybody who watched the movie. Because somebody needs to pay for that bullshit cut when you should be seeing just how awesome Deadshot's abilities are, but instead you just get Will Smith's grimacing face.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:01 pm

It depends on the human. My children, priceless. Certain other individuals? About a dime.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Aren't there publications that assist in determining this by comparing lawsuit results? You know, people who have been injured in various ways or lives lost who win money in civil suits? What I'm trying to say is, you should be telling us.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Man, they covered this in freakonomics. I'm gonna say 140k. Less for a kid.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Kids are really expensive if you think of them as a lifetime investment. Add college and we can really get up there. Fun fact: it costs $6000 a year, not counting instruments that are worth many, many bucks, for my kids' music educations. This is why I bother to work, in part.

And guess what? That means other people's kids are worth less to me than my kids' music lessons, doesn't it? Since I could choose to donate that money to things like vaccination programs or clean water, Médecins Sans Frontières, etc.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 pm

There's actually nothing wrong with that, dude. After-all, they are you children, they carry your genetic legacy, and every single cell in your body is biased towards their survival and increasing the odds that they have children of their own.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:41 am

I hope that's not the reason why. I just find it interesting. There was a time I would get pissed off if people bought the pack of soda that was 40 cents a can vs. the sale price at the grocery store.

Return to “Nerd Talk”