[Deep Thoughts] Nature or Nurture

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Deep Thoughts] Nature or Nurture

Postby Kyle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:39 am

Is human nature constant or is it molded by culture? Can human nature be completely changed by culture or society?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: [Deep Thoughts] Nature or Nurture

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:04 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 am

Human nature is certainly not constant. We've had a major reduction in crime that is linkable to the simple fact that we've reduced human lead exposure over the last several decades.

But then again, twin studies show that twins separated at birth tend to have a lot of similarities that crossover the different upbringings.

Six of one, half a dozed of the other?
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:44 am

I fall pretty squarely on the nurture side, with a healthy amount of natural guidance.

I think that there are some aspects of human nature that are determined, for lack of a better term, genetically. However, I also think that culture has a huge impact.

All you need to do is look at the difference between the behavior of individuals who are raised in different cultural traditions to really see it. Take your traditional western, individualist culture vs. the eastern, collectivist culture as an example. You will find drastic differences in behavior patterns and beliefs. This is one of the major stumbling blocks to really understanding other cultures. People look at them through the lens of their own culture and fail to grasp that they ARE truly different. They look at a culture where people seem to be repressed, from the western perspective, where everyone conforms to to the societal norm and see something authoritarian and oppressive.

Meanwhile, they look at the individualistic western culture from their eastern perspective and see a lack of structure, lack of proper respect, and people who are rude and immature, regardless of how talented or brilliant they might be.

If all was determined by our genes, these kind of differences wouldn't occur.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:57 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:57 pm

Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 pm

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:24 am

There's wudder up on the ruff from when it dunnervetted earlier.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:26 am

So, true fact: whatever weirdness is happening here with pillow is the direct influence of the "Pennsylvania Dutch" as filtered through a wander across the Midwest (i.e. the "warsh" of Missouri got thrown in too).

Everyone in the house says roof like too with an f on it, except for me AND the dog who both pronounce it in the same way vaguely but not quite rhyming with look. Not "ruff" like a ruffle, but definitely not roof with a long oo sound. I get that this ain't right and try to force myself to say roof, but the other one comes out Naturally. And yet Nurture wrought it.

Return to “Nerd Talk”