[Deep Thoughts] Strange Sacrifice

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Deep Thoughts] Strange Sacrifice

Postby Kyle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:15 pm

If sacrificing your own life would save the lives of a specific number of strangers, how many strangers would need to be saved for you to sacrifice your own life? What if the people were friends? How about family?
El Jefe
Cleric Thief
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Deep Thoughts] Strange Sacrifice

Postby El Jefe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:40 pm

I don't know how I can make this any clearer, Scarecrow. I'm not giving you my damn brain.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Why are you trying to drive me away from this place? You could just ask if that's what you want.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:11 am

It's okay to face deep thoughts, Phoebe.

Actually, Pdyx and I make and drink iced coffee together every afternoon. Then we have a coffee klatch. I found this list of "deep conversation starters" and put it in a spreadsheet. So everyday I have it pull up a random one and we talk about it. Then I post it to the boards.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:14 am

Help me God. The purpose of those questions was originally to show the completely ridiculous moral bankruptcy of utilitarianism, and then morally bankrupt utilitarians latched onto such questions as a serious enterprise because they couldn't see the problem with their death maths.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:35 am

Okay... so... don't participate if you see it's a Deep Thoughts question? I don't understand the problem.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:01 pm

My answer would be more than 5.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:38 pm

I'm participating. That was pretty real talk from me, considering. It's a terrible question that masks a terrible approach to ethical thinking.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:25 pm

Oh- then I'm changing my answer. I'm trying to drive you away from the boards.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:05 pm

There's a great 21 Pilots song called "Ride" that digs into similarly deep thoughts:
"Who would you live for, who would you die for, and would you ever kill?"
Apparently some people even have a list of those for whom they would take a bullet, though few bullets are coming through.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Return to “Nerd Talk”