Ranting

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ranting

Postby Cazmonster » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:36 pm

Our documentation is not the kind of documentation a Top 100 company ought to have. I waste so much time for things that should be written down and aren't.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Re: Ranting

Postby Iantha » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:46 am

My administrator frequently gives me projects, takes them back before I've had a chance to get even half-way done, then gives me more projects with a "You seem to be underutilized, and I'm sure you don't want to go down to part time, so I'd like you to work on a project for me..."
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:33 am

Paul should punch that guy in the epiglottis.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:31 pm

I'm not clear if the manager is a man or a woman, but in either case, I think Iantha should punch them in epiglottis.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Tell you what, Caz. You torch your place for poor documentation and I'll punch Dawn in the epiglottis for being a shitty manager and low key threatening my job if I don't take on the projects that she was supposed to be doing in the first place.

I do love Paul, and I do love working on projects with Paul, but I handle my own wet work.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:19 pm

That's where it pays (literally) to be a contractor paid by the hour. If they change their mind and want me to work on something else, that's just more billable hours for me. It's done a lot to help me not give two shits whether they keep changing their mind, or decide to go a different direction halfway through a project, etc.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Yeah, I was a contractor for a few years but with the language industry here it's kind of hit-or-miss on hours. I really need a steady, predictable income right now. Otherwise I'd totally go back to being an independent contractor.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:16 pm

I love the warm, comforting scent of well-conceived policy language. I assume that's rather like documentation? Not red tape, mind you, but just well-conceived policy language.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm a huge fan of how documentation (outside of the IT world, in particular) has effectively become viewed as a way to indicate how replaceable you are. "Well, you wrote all this down for us, so what do we need you for now?"
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:47 am

How else are we supposed to figure out what to program the robot to do?

Return to “Nerd Talk”