Ronster's gross baked potatoes

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Ronster's gross baked potatoes

Postby Kyle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:38 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Ronster's gross baked potatoes

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:57 am

I don't peel potatoes anymore. I always eat them.

Baked potatoes, french fries, breakfast potatoes, hash browns, mashed even. Wash 'em. Do whatever cutting/dicing/shredding is needed. Cook, season, etc. Add condiments. Eat. Peeling sucks and it's unnecessary and it's wasteful.

Mashed potatoes were the last ones that I finally said to heck with it. Turns out that a blender shreds boiled potato skins just as easily as the meat of the potato. They're awesome. (Okay... so technically whipped and not mashed, but you get it.)
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:57 am

Whipped potatoes including boiled skins are a crime against both potato and humanity, but otherwise I'm totally here for you on the value of potato skins. Normally, it's a thing you should eat. But because we have functioning tongues and have learned how to make mashed potatoes from the potato-savvy French and Irish and Polish cultures, we take the damn skins off before trying to mash anything. Keeping the skins on and whipping the potatoes into a starchy mass of shit is something cheap chain restaurants learned to do to save time and money and destroy humanity in the process. And screw Martha Stewart, a Polish woman who should know better, telling us to press our boiled potatoes through a dicer or strainer and whip them with massive blobs of whatever clogs arteries, because you just don't need to do that either. Mash your damn potatoes with a masher and put low fat milk and sour cream in them like a sensible person should, or ignore my advice and eat horrid slop - it's a free country! Also, what masochist wants to clean a blender or strainer that has had mashed potatoes in it? Not me! I'm not into pain!
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:09 pm

What about the blender? Or do you literally put the beater into the potato pot/bowl? Someone bring me the smelling salts, quickly.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:13 pm

I use a hand mixer. Not all of us can be as hoity toity as you. Some of us make do with what we have.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Why do you hate potatoes, and also me by extension, insofar as I am identified almost fully with the potato, since "you are what you eat"?
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:21 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:41 pm

I only wish the violent assault of beaters on the poor potato, causing it to ooze its starch in terror, were so metaphorical in this case.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:46 pm

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Whoa. I just got sick burned. Just drop the mic and leave, Ronster.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Potato skins are about as disgusting as sweat, saying "Bless You", and pot roasts.

They'd definitely get you a whole lot of negatives points in another, older thread.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Sweat is natural and healthy. Saying "bless you" is just a polite colloquialism, and pot roasts are awesome.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Dafuq is wrong with Pot Roast?

Granted, I only roll Pot Roast once or twice a year as there's only two people in the house who will eat it. Those things are delicious and economical.

Also, my Pot Roast is served with Syracuse or Salted potatoes - nom.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:55 pm

I'm going to need to understand what you mean by Syracuse and Salted potatoes, please. This sounds promising.

I just cooked and ate pot roast for dinner (same recipe as in cookbook thread) and it was amazing, thankyouverymuch. Chloe ate a piece of plain bread for dinner because she was so grossed out by every aspect of the pot roast and veggies. Tomorrow I will reheat a whole other round for meal 2, plus a meal 3 with barley thrown into the liquidy leftovers for a soup. So good.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 pm

I will find the recipe from America's Test Kitchen. They're amazingly salty and delicious. Yes, they will be very salty. Yes, you will have to wash some remaining salt out of your pot. Eat them anyway.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:07 pm

I have literally, until this moment, never heard of them referred to as Syracuse potatoes. Then again, I'm from Syracuse. We just call them salt potatoes. And I'm not particularly in love with them.

Return to “Nerd Talk”