[movie] The Handmaiden

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[movie] The Handmaiden

Postby Kyle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:19 pm

Holy shit. Chan Wook Park is so good. Oldboy, Stoker, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I think I love everything this guy makes.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: [movie] The Handmaiden

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Add JSA to that list. The man is good.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:45 pm

I didn't even know that was a thing. Holy shit. I'm so happy for me.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:01 pm

I haven't had a chance to see this yet, even though it played at the local Art Theater. (I was sick the week it was here. :( )

However, for those who are unaware, it is based on the novel Fingersmith by Welsh writer Sarah Waters, which is a 2002 British Gothic, Historical Fiction, Crime Novel with lesbian themes. It won the 2002 British Crime Writer's Association "Historical Dagger" award for best historical crime novel of the year. I haven't read it yet either, but I have heard that it is a classic. The setting of the story in The Handmaiden was changed from Victorian Era Britain to Korea during the era of Japanese colonial rule.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:06 pm

It's free on Amazon Prime.

Also- I watched JSA- very good.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:35 pm

FREE ON PRIME!!! I know what I'm doing tonight!
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to “Nerd Talk”