Republican Contenders

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Republican Contenders

Postby Kyle » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:08 pm

So here's the situation- there's never been a more disliked candidate than Trump at this point in his tenure. I'm guessing that this means that he is not going to be uncontested as the republican nominee for 2020. On the other hand, republicans greatly value being lock-step with the party. So two questions: (1) will a serious candidate challenge trump as the republican nominee; and if so then (2) who are good candidates?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Republican Contenders

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm sure people like Evan McMullin who already did it are happy to do it again, but I don't see that anybody who could actually win is going to do it. Most of the people who have paid a big lip service to being never trumper's went ahead and voted with everything that he was for in Congress anyway so far. I think in some districts they just wanted the optics of being opposed to him while going right ahead with his agenda in reality. They're basically fearful and aren't going to want to go up against him knowing how nasty it will be.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:39 pm

It would be hard to get through the primaries unless things get much worse.

1. Trump has control of the white house and party apparatus. The latter might be tepid for him if things have gone very bad. But I don't see Trump playing fair and not using advantages for mere ethical reasons.

2. At this point, the overwhelming majority of Republican voters support Trump. There might be a few that a defensive in replying to polls who would vote for another Republican if they could but I doubt it's a large number. But many of them have been immunized against truth after decaades of being told what sources to listen to - they've had to had heard >100 bad, true things so far and still support him.

I dunno who has the clout and the distance so make a ago.
Hey! Chris Christie!
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:01 pm

Dwayne Johnson
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:01 pm

If Trump is around as president in 2020 and runs, I see it approval rating based

If his national approval is less than:
80%: Evan McMullin
40%: John Kasich
33%: Jon Huntsman, Jr., Jeb Bush, Marco "Paper Tiger" Rubio, Rob Portman
25%: Ted Cruz, The Rock
20%: Competent and incompetent women candidates (if Susan Collins becomes governor of Maine, I'd like to see her run, and win... the nomination) and those seeking book deals and Fox shows.

If this was actually in any ways accurate, I'd also say the best chance of kicking him off the GOP ticket would probably be for him to have approval between 34 and 39 percent. 2 strong opponents who later unite would be good enough to take him down, I'd like to think. Anymore and he'll get to count on his deporables and then the sense of inevitability to push him to the top again.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:21 pm

The question weighing on me like a stone is, who runs in 2020 for the Ds? It needs to be someone sassy with some charisma, who can get away with being sarcastic without looking like a jerk or a tight ass. Who is that? Any governors out there in hiding? Can we have Al Franken?
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:25 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:36 pm

I have a feeling that the Dem's nominee in 2020 will be someone like Chuck Schumer. It'll be a candidate from one of their stronghold states that is just milquetoast enough to not be objectionable to more moderate voters.

I'd be sad to see Schumer leave New York. While I don't always agree with him on his positions, he's been a strong advocate for New York.

I REALLY don't want them to go the Andrew Cuomo route... he's unpopular enough in his own state.

For my money, I'd LOVE to see Cory Booker run.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:52 pm

Kirsten Gillebrand or Kamala Harris seem most likely for dems. Though, Joe Kennedy is rising quickly as well.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Gillebrand is considered a moderate Dem, but with her voting against all Trump nominees, even the non-controversial ones, she is building up Resistance-cred. Cred she doesn't need to be reelected in NY but cred to be a nominee or VP in 2020.

She has my vote.

Return to “Nerd Talk”