Sony's Spiderman-less properties

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Sony's Spiderman-less properties

Postby Kyle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:48 pm

How can Sony make movies in the spiderman universe without the spiderman?

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/06/19/ ... y-disagree

I'll confess- I don't understand what is going on. Is it the case the deal says, "Sony and Marvel jointly (profit) make the Spiderman: Homecoming movies (really made by Marvel)-- Marvel gets to make the Avengers and other movies that will have Spiderman in them-- Sony gets to make movies with all those other spiderman characters that aren't spiderman in them."

What is Sony's universe going to be like? Venom; Sinister Six and Black Cat? Really? Are these properties that anyone outside of hardcore comics geeks know anything about? Like- maybe Venom just a little. MAYBE.

What is going on? These seems more doomed than the Dark Universe (which apparently is still happening despite the Mummy bombing in the US).
El Jefe
Cleric Thief
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sony's Spiderman-less properties

Postby El Jefe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Marvel's (and by default, Sony's) deals surrounding the MCU are about as baffling as the rights which surrounded the FASA game properties after that company's collapse. Marvel Films can influence Netflix shows and Agents of Shield (and presumably, the upcoming horrid looking Inhumans). Spider-Man can be referenced and influenced by Marvel films, but not vice versa. We can have alternate versions of X-Men and Fantastic Four characters, but they can't hint at those properties in any way (some of the jokes and one-liners that were cut from Age of Ultron are hysterically funny to read...and why they were cut).

More than a few sources have reported that when Disney purchased Marvel, they were basically told "The purse strings are open...do whatever you need to get your rights back, you complete and utter idiots." The Sony deal in particular seems like its going to be a nightmare to try and work with long term.

I wouldn't underestimate Venom. For reasons I'll never understand (for virtually all Spidey characters, most notably, Spidey himself), that character was outright WORSHIPPED. The rest, yeah...they make no sense.

But really, we don't have to worry about it too much. We're not getting an actual Spidey movie. We're getting a movie about Iron Man doing his best dating creeper routine on a lovely, unsuspecting aunt...and Spidey might just happen to be in it.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:18 am

Jacob is super-excited for a Venom movie. The rest of my kids don't know/don't care.

I think Sony needs to lay off this money grab, but they do seem pretty insistent on repeatedly trying to move forward.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:30 pm

News today that Sony plans to also have a Kraven movie and a Mysterio movie.

I want this to all turn out, and I really hope it does. But this seems like a trainwreck.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/sonys-spider-man ... 1796297310
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Peter Parker is the only real hero property in the Spidey-verse. Personally, I say they either go Spider-Gwen or go home.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:10 pm

I would see a movie about Black Cat for sure because it lends itself to a different and perhaps quieter, more suspenseful form of action. Cat burglar movies, jewel thief movies, that whole genre is a different sort of action film that I prefer to BIG LOUD BLASTY. Granted, I enjoyed WW despite its having a lot of big loud blasts, but that didn't define the movie and, you know, there was a power level to convey.

Anyway, I could envision an interesting father-child drama, a conflicted female thief character, lots of interesting potential there.

On the other hand, WOWWWW am I sick to the gills of comic book movies! Can't anyone else produce a story or script? It has to come only from comics? At this point who the hell is even the audience being lured by characters they have never heard of before, because they don't even read comic books! Everyone knows who other big comic book characters are because they spread through pop culture in several ways. Nobody knows who Black Cat is, come on. So why not just, say, write a good movie about a female cat burglar and call it whatever you want?
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:06 pm

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:08 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:13 am

Wait. You really didn't like Spiderman 2?
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:11 pm

salvation122
Infrared Drone

Postby salvation122 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:45 am

Return to “Nerd Talk”