[Movie] The Girl with All the Gifts

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

[Movie] The Girl with All the Gifts

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Wow.

English zombie film with Glenn Close and Gemma Arterton. So good. Visually, this film was amazing. I don't ever use this word, but the landscapes and cityscapes were lush. None of this Walking Dead post-apocalyptic bullshit where every suburban lawn looks like they left it unmown for two weeks to get that "overgrown" look. No. This was a post-apocalyptic world that looked every bit of it. You believe that no one's taken care of this place for years. I was in love with the look of it.

And the story was original, and found a way to exploit the zombie genre to explore something new. The acting was solid, especially the lead Sennia Nanua who, at 11 years old or whatever she is, dominated this film.

It's available on Amazon Prime. Has anyone else watched it yet?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Movie] The Girl with All the Gifts

Postby Cazmonster » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:59 am

It is a wonderful movie. Everybody delivers a top-notch performance. Between the lush landscapes and the ruined urban areas, it really does look like all the humans are gone.

One of the things I really liked with the zombies is that when they're passive, they had what looked like the same amount of space between them, like somehow that was coded into the fungus.

A behind the scenes thing that I love is this from IMBD "Glenn Close's sister-in-law, Deb Close, is a massive fan of zombie films, having always wanted to be in one, and has a small role as one of the "hungries" in the scene where the group has to work their way through a crowd of them. She is the one wearing a blue knit, with green facial fungus and blood around the mouth and neck, that Glenn stares at as her character walks past. Deb flew to the UK especially for the part, and the first thing Glenn did after accepting her role was call to let Deb know she was in a zombie film."
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."

Return to “Nerd Talk”