"That's What You Get"

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
poorpete
Trailer Trash

"That's What You Get"

Postby poorpete » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:29 am

Victim blaming is all around lately. Two particular I want to mention:

You got Trump blaming Iran for ISIS attacking their parliament. That Iran had moments of silence and candle vigils and unconditional and respectful responses to 9/11, and then when they have a terrorist attack, we all like, "that's what you get"?
The only state body that gave a "that's what you get" answer was Saddam in Iraq.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Tehr ... _reactions

Now the shooting at the GOP baseball field, some of my coworkers first responses was "that's what you get" because... gun control, or supporting racists, or Trump, or whatever.

The reactions make me physically sick.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: "That's What You Get"

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 am

Agreed, and again- this is what I talk about when I'm saying: we can't forget our compassion. Above all else, people need to be compassionate to other people. Otherwise we are sacrificing our humanity. And it disturbs me that these messages of "that's what you get" the originate in the states come from people who wrap themselves in the bible and their Christianity. Christ would be ashamed of such behavior.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:34 am

Yikes, I have already seen the "maybe they'll think differently about guns now!!" reaction. Help. Why?
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 pm

That's what you get is appropriate in games of Magic: The Gathering and dealing with homicidal murder-hobos masquerading as players in your RPG.

Those are the only times it is appropriate.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Just had co-workers last night saying that about the guy that left North Korea in a coma. And the Cosby victims, for the bonus round.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:11 am

A 17 year old girl was murdered in Virginia. That's​ what she got for being a Muslim woman.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 am

I understand the mentality- it's a way of laying blame and, in your own mind, knowing that something like that would NEVER happen to you. But that doesn't make it right. We need to be better than this irrational justifications.

Return to “Nerd Talk”