Bus travel

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Bus travel

Postby Mike » Tue May 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Anyone have experience with cross country commercial bus travel?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
TheMaster
Happy Medium
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Bus travel

Postby TheMaster » Tue May 10, 2016 12:24 pm

I went to Chicago from Birmingham in one. Not sure it is considered cross country.

One of our buses broke down about an hour into the drive and we spent about 4 hours at a mall waiting for another one. I love long rides like that, and always bring cards and stuff to pass the time. Sleeping is also a good way to pass the time.
Citizens of Earth, rejoice. Your Lord and Master stands on high.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue May 10, 2016 12:46 pm

I don't know that I'm really considering it yet, but a bus from Nebraska to GenCon costs about the same as gas money. If I take the bus, it's twice as many hours, BUT I don't have to do any driving, and I get there at 10am, having slept at least some overnight.

Of course, then someone has to pick me up there, or I arrange for a cab or a rental.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue May 10, 2016 1:19 pm

Never took one, though my mother did take one from Madison to Fort Wayne after our youngest child was born. And while I would not really consider taking a bus on a cross country trip, I am considering taking a train for our next cross country trip to Seattle, rather than driving or flying.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Tue May 10, 2016 2:39 pm

I've done it several times in the past and it was fine, but that was a long time ago. Not as pleasant as, say, taking a bus trip with a bunch of sixth graders, but not awful. The bad part is the total slowness of the travel, with which I would have little patience compared to driving my own vehicle. The people are a different mix than you would get on a plane; I would not be excited about going on the bus by myself or with kids for a longer distance as opposed to a direct hop. On the other hand, as I discovered, people will grope you anywhere without warning! It would be nicer if you went with one other person and always could sit next to each other, so there's no concern about sitting next to... well, a groper or the equivalent.

I'm jealous that you're going to GenCon as I would very much enjoy this and it falls at a time of year in 2016 that I could in theory make the trip. I examined availability at a few of the hotels I prefer and discovered they have exactly Zero rooms at that time. So there you go. I'm pondering the possibility of staying somewhere outside of town and just dipping in there for one long day or two. If there was something in that vicinity my mother in law would like to do with a couple of our kids, we could probably haul the whole famdamily along while a few of us make a little GenCon detour. Isn't there some sort of Amish country in the vicinity, or is that NE Ohio I'm thinking of? Is the convention populated with, like, nudity or other unknowns? Could you take a junior high person in there? I saw some THINGS in clips of ComicCon and even that MyLittlePony convention that made me think I would not take a kid along, but maybe this is different? Who knows. I bet it would be really fun; I can't believe I've never gone to one.

By the way, since it seems like people have to make hotel reservations a million years in advance for this thing, let me just say that people who PLAN on going should try to stay at a Drury Inn. They are so awesome. Has anyone ever stayed at one?
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Tue May 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Tue May 10, 2016 4:51 pm

We can totally pick you up in the DarcsMobile. Equipped with 8-track AND audio cassette.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue May 10, 2016 4:54 pm

It's a thought then.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Tue May 10, 2016 6:01 pm

"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue May 10, 2016 6:20 pm

If Dave's coming for sure, then splitting gas becomes much cheaper.

Looking at Amtrak, for just a few bucks more than that, I can take a train to Chicago, but then they transfer me to a bus for six hours to Indy.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Tue May 10, 2016 6:43 pm

Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Wed May 11, 2016 11:33 am

Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Thu May 12, 2016 4:00 am

During my college years, I would bus from home to school. It was pretty chill. Granted, that was only a couple of hours, but getting to ride and doze on a Sunday night was okay.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Thu May 12, 2016 4:53 pm

Return to “Nerd Talk”