Man in a Dress

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Man in a Dress

Postby Mike » Wed May 10, 2017 12:07 pm

There's been a long time comedy trope that putting a male into women's clothes is just inherently funny. You don't need any other joke, because the humor IS the man in the dress. It's funny because we're a sexist society, and putting a man into a dress emasculates him and thus we laugh at his embarrassment (or laugh because we know he should be embarrassed). Very rarely in mainstream media do we see a male dress up as a female as a form of empowerment, although examples of women dressing/acting like men to empower them are common.

So today my son sent me a clip from Lip Sync Battle:

I think it's glorious. That's Tom Holland... the new Spiderman... and he's holding nothing back. He's 100% sincere, and I think it's a powerful piece. It's an empowering drag performance on a mainstream TV show that isn't played for laughs at all. You can watch LL Cool J's body language and see that he's still not 100% comfortable with this whole drag thing, but he's way better about it now than on earlier episodes.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Man in a Dress

Postby DMDarcs » Thu May 11, 2017 7:36 pm

But hey, if you're in a comedy movie, putting a man in a dress almost certainly guarantees an Oscar nomination and a certain affection from the Academy.

Tootsie
Some Like It Hot
Mrs. Doubtfire
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu May 11, 2017 8:21 pm

All of them shameful. Ha Ha! It's funny because that guy doesn't know he's hitting on a man! So gay!
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Thu May 11, 2017 10:04 pm

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Also, this Tom H has now knocked the other Tom H (of MCU, Thor-ish, fame) off the sexy perch. Fellow was legitimately smoking, and may very well have had the best actual dance performance outside of Channing Tatum's wife, whose name I'm blanking on right now. He's also apparently one lean muscle form head to toe, which is downright scary.

Jim Nash (of Community fame) and Clarke Gregg (of Agents of Shield) probably offer up the only other two empowering drag performances on the show to date. Though LL and Chrissy are still generally shitty about it.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Fri May 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Now I need me some Tee Hiddy in drag.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri May 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Is this Dancing with the Stars? Tom Hiddleston killed his hotness factor, and probably ruined any hopes he had of being Bond, by traipsing around with Taylor Swift. Now it's Idris Elba or bust. Also happens that Ron and I are rewatching The Wire. Because why not?

Return to “Nerd Talk”