Specific v. General Topics

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Specific v. General Topics

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 am

I know it irritates people that I don't post things about movies in the "Movie Review Thread" or complaints about Trump in the "Trump" thread. But here's the thing, I like to see more specific threads to engender more indepth conversation about the specific thing I'm talking about. If I post up my thoughts on Rogue One in the Movie Review thread, most of the people on the site won't read it and those that do won't want to start an indepth discussion of it because it hijacks the thread if it gets discussed too much. On the flip side of it, the overly generalized post topics ("Movies," "Trump," etc.) I don't even look at anymore for these very reasons. As a person that wants to read and discuss certain topics, the overly general topics dissuade me from doing so.

On the flip side, I think that the appeal to the general topics are for the people who just want to post in them (and not necessarily read other posts)-- it's easy to say, "Oh I watched a movie and now I'll post about it here," or "That damn Trump, I'll go add this to the Trump thread," without really looking for a response or discussion.

Conclusion: General Topics=Bad; Specific Topics=Good.

You're welcome.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Specific v. General Topics

Postby Stan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks for the demonstration of the False Dilemma fallacy.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby El Jefe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Your specificity is generally a sign of doddering old age.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Stan- you're very welcome.

Jeff- while this is true, it is also something that Mike and I have disagreed about since Animalball. It's more a function of the way my brain works versus the way his does. I like to have a single topic for each discrete thought, and then a discussion about that thought. Mike likes to lump it all together like bunch of brain oatmeal.

Kyle = Good; Mike = Bad.

And before you comment, Stan: you're also welcome.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:10 pm

How about post in the original Rogue One spoiler thread?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=733

This says less about your desire for specificity than your desire to start conversations on your own terms.

:raspberry:

note: I am just teasing. I have no idea about your motivations and but do know my desire to tease.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:25 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:38 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:06 pm

:cheers:
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:35 pm

We've already established he and I dress alike, so let's leave that out of it. However, the whores? Tell me more.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:05 pm

WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:20 pm

One, I'm down with specific topics. It's easier to follow the flow. Except for things like Trump. If every incident got its own thread, there'd be no room for anything else.

Two, I really want to see the nonprofit dedicated to starting conversations not on Kyle's terms. That was some beautiful snark.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:57 am

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:19 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:18 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:48 am

Eww, girl, fix your manicure.

Return to “Nerd Talk”