Good Feminist

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Good Feminist

Postby Phoebe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:41 am

Whereas the deodorant commercial is imaginative enough to decide that playing cello is among the stable of activities that require a lady to expose her potentially sweaty armpit to the world, but not imaginative enough to discover that you usually don't play the cello by holding it over your right shoulder and haphazardly plopping down one noodly finger of your right hand on the string.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:03 pm

this is peak stay at home wine mom commentary haha
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:12 pm

"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Let me be clear that I am talking about the cello playing.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Speak for yourself! Anyone who wants to cherish armpits can do it outta the sight of this wine mom.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:45 am

OMG agreed. Horrors. It's an armpit. If our nation had armpits, where would they be?

Anyway, we need a new theory about sex and gender because the present day orthodoxy is not cutting it. Judith Butler wrought all kinds of damage even though in the end, just as predicted, she requires some stable kernel of inner identity to make the whole scheme run. There's a "true you", a little tyrannical homunculus inside free from all history and culture, demanding to decide things. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The whole setup is wrong. That's all for today.

I don't know why Nikki Minaj is a feminist icon. Nothing against her, I just don't know why she's a feminist icon these days, as opposed to a successful entertainer making money.

Speaking of which, aside from Nikki Minaj, why are "feminists" hostile to other successful women who make money? Wow the list of rich and successful women they despise is long. You would think they'd be happy with successful women, so long as the women aren't expressing truly retrograde or unpleasant opinions. I'm lost, I thought we wanted women to win at things.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 16, 2018 4:13 pm

The winning is very great today. However, there is a great area of Grey this side of the me too line that makes for very tricky workplace navigational issues. You are trapped in a total no-win situation between being a kiss ass, being exploited, pissing people off by setting boundary lines, or pissing other people off by not setting those boundary lines. Ah, the learning of each new day. But the real question is should I go to the after work drinks or not, under the circumstances? Nobody tells you how to answer that question.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:28 pm

He is just so gross. Eww. He even looks gross and I can't understand why so many people found him charming. My husband loves him but only because of the winning for his team, kind of like if you had a drug-dealing quarterback or something, a star pitcher who took bribes.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:03 am

Completely unsurprised that the underwhelming Abrams and Co. were responsible for this level of callousness and dishonesty:
Glad to see Evangeline Lilly speaking up about it now, as it might influence them to reform and not try similar stuff in future. Mind if Abrams had made gross jokes in his old tweets he'd be fired, but actually treating the employees this way is probably no biggie.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:11 am

was JJ directly involved with the episode in question? I'm honestly curious why this "well yea of COURSE" attitude comes from in regards to him.

But yea I'm crying crocodile tears for the millionaire who had to show some skin on camera, you're a action figure that eats!
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:17 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:09 pm

She didn't name names; don't know if it's the directors or Lindelof or whoever else was in charge, but it sounds like the problem included both incidents that occurred on set and also a failure to respond to her desire not to have her character written that way and need to play scenes of undress, etc. I realize that actors sign on for all kinds of things they can't predict, and having a character with a sexuality or who shows their body onscreen is part of that, but she was definitely made into the primary female sex object of that show. It's interesting to know that she wasn't too happy about it. Not every woman on that show was treated the same way in that regard. Granted, the fact that I absolutely loathe the people who made that show and are responsible for anything to do with its plot or development is probably coloring my response here. I feel like they owe me significant chunks of my life back, and I'm glad I have other hobbies that I can do while I watch TV so the time wasn't totally wasted.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:54 pm

bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:03 pm

Because it was a crappy ripoff of the "story out of a hat" improv.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:32 pm

Turns out the shrew that drove Anthony Bordain to kill himself is also a big sex pervert!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/20/entertai ... index.html
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Read an interesting thing about modesty during the night. Thumbnail: let's not abandon it as a virtue because it doesn't have to be about the maintenance of sexist oppression over bodies or their sexuality. Nor does it have to involve trading one form of objectification for another, even more controlling one (e.g. religiously-motivated body coverings over which women have little choice). Rather, it can be a tool to demarcate and communicate separation between the different types of relationship people share with one another, and in that way preserves a freedom for the modest person to operate only as part of a mutually agreed relation. It also helps to maintain the appropriateness and security of those relationships in different situations. I would have to go on to explain the rest but, it was interesting given that most feminists I know are working hard to abolish the whole idea that modesty has value.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:28 am

Aka "be a lady in the streets, and a freak in the sheets"?

Return to “Nerd Talk”