Euclidea

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Euclidea

Postby Eliahad » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:05 pm

3.4: You only need to use two tools before you draw the remaining two lines. There are two ways to determine equidistant points. You need to use both of them.

The solution for Lines and Elements is the same.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ronster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:43 am

So I got Euclidea on my wife's iPod yesterday about 6PM. about an hour later she tells me she has unlocked a new level... :horrified:

She also wanted to know where on earth I heard about this :D

Guess whose daughter is about to get the app ;)
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:21 pm

YAY! Spread the geometrical love! You don't even have to be mathy to do these.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 pm

4.9... I'm dying. I got 6L. And now I need to do it in 10E. I've found 2 or 3 similar ways to do it in 11, but I just can't seem to shave off that last one. This tells me I have the wrong approach, and I need to try something radically different, but I have no clue what.

SUCK!
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:07 am

so we figured out that I was leaving off part of the answer Euclidea wanted...why did this make me angry?

SO now my daughter has surpassed my wife in Euclidea...they are up in Beta level or whatever that's called...I bought the app for the boardgame Splendor and am currently..umm...distracted by ALL THE WINNING I AM DOING!
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 am

Okay, I backed up and got all the early delta levels, but 4.9 and 4.10 are both stumping me. I need the E star for 4.9, and the L star for 4.10.

Frustrating, but I love this game.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 pm

I can't seem to get the square root of 2 yet. I bet the square root of 3 is going to be just as much fun!
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:22 am

Oh Pythagoras you salty, saucy wench.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:38 am

Okay, I got it! I know why this works, but I don't know why what I have is the right answer. Like WHY is this particular set of objects equivalent to A^2+B^2=C^2

I'll figure it out tomorrow I guess.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:51 am

The square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square of the other two sides.

So if you have a square with a side length of 1, then the diagonal of that square will equal the square root of 2.

Square root of 3 is harder. You have to remember that in a 30-60-90 triangle, the short side is 1, the hypotenuse is 2, and the long leg is square root of 3.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks, Mike. I remembered the formula part and even the bit about the hypotenuse, but it was translating it into circles that hurt my brain.

I just had another moment where I figured out the element solution for the parallel line and wondered why the heck I hadn't noticed it earlier.

These things are still great :)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Love this game. I've bashed my way through Epsilon in the last few days. I'm down to two stars I can't suss out, but it's only a matter of time.

Building the hexagon and getting all stars (5.10, I think) is probably my favorite puzzle so far.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:57 pm

By the way, stuck on 9.8. catch up so we can talk.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:51 am

I'm so far behind...

I'm only on 6.3 and I paused my 'getting all the stars' mentality just so I felt like I was getting somewhere.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:07 pm

FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Really, I should be going back to 3 and 4 and try to perfect them both. Tough to go for perfection. Apparently a number of them were perfected by some solvers, and the designer had to update L and E. Insane to think about.

Also, absolutely blows my mind how Ancient Greek has a lot of stuff figured out from what is essentially nothing.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:41 pm

I was so proud of myself when I figured it out, but I spent days on it, convincing myself that it was absolutely impossible.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Clue in ancient Greece.

Return to “Nerd Talk”