Podcasts Podcasts Podcasts

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: Podcasts Podcasts Podcasts

Postby poorpete » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:48 pm

When two great comedy podcasts make a vulgar ode to another:
http://earwolf.com/episode/mike-mitchel ... ns-minute/
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:30 pm

What's your fav day for podcasts?

My answer: Thursday. Doughboys, Improv4Humans, Never Not Funny usually gives me about 5 hours of laughs. Sometimes Comedy Bang Bang does a show, there might be a good WTF, Bitch Sesh, High and Mighty, or Mom and Dad are Fighting. Lately, the Slate Political Gabfest has been dropping Thursday afternoons. Then The Gist while washing dishes. Sometimes Sports without Balls drops (pun) Thursday nights too. My mother-in-law has suggested "On Being" and that hits Thursdays too.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Mondays. Nerd Pride Radio. D'uh. (also, every other Monday is Lore, and I LOVE Lore) and often a My Favorite Murder minisode.
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ronster » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:41 pm

YES, I got Lore from someone's list on here. I also listen to Nightmare Magazine.

"Betty in the sky with a suitcase" is a flight attendant from where I work and she recounts stories from her travels and those of other F/As

I just started "Wardens of Westeros" and " Shire Folk"no idea how they will be
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:41 pm

I like the Nerd Pride Network releases. As much as any of us are consistent about a release schedule, I love having:

Friday - M.L.T.
Sunday - Angry Geeks VS
Monday - Nerd Pride Radio
Tuesday - Cast and the Curious

Personally, I really dig having a consistent release schedule for NPR. Originally it was "whenever I get it done". Then it was "Sunday-ish." But too many times Sunday night would become Monday morning before I could release (if it took me til after midnight), and my sense of order was offended that even though they were all Sunday night, some had Sunday dates and some Monday. So I settled on always waiting til after midnight. Thus, everyone with a 'regular' work schedule gets a new NPR when they wake up Monday.

Those are the only four I try to listen to the day of release. Well, those and the FiveThirtyEight Elections podcast until after Nov 8. But those are daily now. Anything else, I get to when I get to, so I don't even really know when most of them come out.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:56 pm

I'm adding "Betty" right now. That sounds really interesting. Report back on the other two after you've given them a couple episodes.

I've just gone through a major podcast shakeup on my device. I get to the point where there are podcasts that I've listened to for a while, but I realize that I keep putting them off and that I kind of dread getting to them, so I cleared out a bunch of those, plus a bunch of dead podcasts that haven't done anything in six months or more. To replace them, I've got a brand new lineup as of the last three days:

Doug Loves Movies - used to listen to and got tired of. Put it back on Kyle's suggestion. Two eps in, and I'm really enjoying it again.
Hello from the Magic Tavern - Same as above, except I haven't listened yet.
Star Talk - used to listen to and quit. I have a problem with NDT, because his voice and mannerisms remind me strongly of a guy I used to know who was a major asshole. I like NDT and his show is entertaining, but the voice thing throws me. I'm going to try again. Because I love astronomy and science.
Science Talk (from SciAm) - one of the most popular science podcasts out there. I'll give it a shot.
Betty in the Sky with a Suitcase - just added now. I'm excited to try it. Very different from anything I've done before.
Dead Pilots Society - several people from Thrilling Adventure Hour plus guests doing table reads of failed television pilots. I have high hopes.
Decrypted - short and popular, talking about tech issues as related to current events. I'll try it out.
Astronomy Cast - Long running Canadian 'cast about star stuff and space exploration. I've listened to one, and I enjoyed it a lot. They have good chemistry.

After two months, if I still have two or three of these that I continue with, I'll count this as a win. What I need next are some more gaming podcasts. Especially ones that talk about a variety of games, but not anything with actual play recordings. I just realized that over the years, I've slowly grown tired of all the gaming casts I used to listen to.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:10 pm

I listened to John Hodgman's "Dead Pilots Society" it was one of my fav podcasts this year. The show itself would have been a cult classic.

Doug Loves Movies, apologies if I've said this before, is best under the influence of working. About half the time Ive listened at home or car it drives (pun) me mad how slow-paced it is. While working it's a blast. 10 minutes on what's in the prize bag? No sweat. Either I'm working or laughing. I also adore Jason and Deb's IMDB game and prefer it to last man stanton. Maybe I should take my own advice and cut down on list trivia. :~)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:34 pm

I just listened to this. Dead Pilots Society is brilliant.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:11 am

Audible is doing an audio series: Dr. Katz: The Audio Files.

About one or twice a week I fall asleep listening to Dr. Katz videos on YouTube. It's perfect sleeptime media
1. It's funny. Great stand-up and improvised comedy.
2. It's quiet. Just people chatting and the occasional smooth musical interlude
3. I don't have to watch the video. Sometimes there'd be a funny image on the screen, but for the most part, this was always assembled like a radio series, with cartoons added so it can be shown on TV.

So now, 15 years later, they come back, and they've done away with the video experience, I'm happy, and the four episodes up are very good. Yay!
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:23 am

Listen to last night's Scripts Spelling Bee Finals while getting commentary from two comedians... it's great

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/psr-at- ... e-marbles/
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:05 am

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:36 am

I can't remember if I've shared this before.

I'm still a fan and still following , which is a Starfinder Actual Play podcast. Production isn't anything amazing. It's mostly the particular group of players that keeps bringing me back. Well, that and the GM reminds me of Mike.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:48 am

I can't listen to actual play podcasts. I've tried and tried. I really like the people on Cosmic Crit and I enjoyed the first 3 or 4 episodes. I think they are a great group. But ultimately I just can't do it. I wish I could. Brian Possein has (or had... I don't know anymore) a D&D podcast with a bunch of comedy writers and they were really entertaining, but after 7 or 8 episodes, I had to quit. Just no interest anymore. I don't get it.

[Harmontown's D&D segment is the exception to this, but that one was super weird.]
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am

A recent addition for me is Dumb People Town, a Sklar Brothers true crime comedy podcast aka usually making fun of bad criminals, and debating if the world is getting dumber or if dumb is just getting louder... sounds mean spirited but often contains a lot of honesty and positivity -- oh and very funny.

I've falled off on Improv4Humans and a lot of the Slate political stuff because I'd rather listen to something funny.

https://starburns.audio/podcasts/dumb-people-town/

That and Pistol Shrimps Radio's presentation of the Scripps Spelling Bee from this morning :-)
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:38 am

If y'all haven't listened to the Onion's "A Very Fatal Murder" (a satire of Serial)- it's brilliant and you can kick out the whole series in a bit over an hour, I think.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:33 pm

The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:46 pm

I have been dabbling in making these, but not about NPR-connected topics. Not public generally, but it's going OK I think. It's soooo hard because every time you screw up even slightly you want to re-record. It's like psyching yourself out while trying to enter a handwriting contest and ending up with a trash can full of failure and frustration.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:43 am

LOOT & DAGGER yes it's an actual play, but the voices...oh my...there's a SOuthern Dandy and he charms a goblin into assisting them, just by sheer roleplay.

Listen to the first episode and then if that doesn't give you a belly laugh it isn't for you.

Also, if you have a spare five years or so you can do what I have done and listen to a Bible study that goes through the entire thing in 5 years at about 22 minutes per day. The teacher is from California, but has a Texas accent. It is called THRU THE BIBLE WITH DR J. VERNON MCGHEE

If that isn't deep enough There's LET MY PEOPLE THINK which has a guy who does a lot of University Q & As about philosophy and faith.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “Nerd Talk”