GenCon 2016

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: GenCon 2016

Postby Ronster » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:21 am

GenCon is on my bucket list.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:44 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby DMDarcs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:56 pm

All the parking is in people's backyards, and only in small sections of time. I couldn't find a spot with reservations where we could just park in one spot and then leave at night - most days would've involved changing parking lots 2 or 3 times each day, as the times were very specific. There is a 24-hour parking lot near the convention center, but they don't take reservations. Push come to shove, I just drop you all off at the convention center, drive the car back to the hotel, and then hoof it. I wonder if there are shuttle buses?
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:04 pm

OK fellow parents, parking issues aside, I am freaking out about leaving the children. My mom is watching them and is worried Desmond (age 2 and some change) isn't going to react well, and will be too upset to sleep and now I'm a wreck. Has anyone else left their small children (our daughter is 6) for 4 days? Am I screwing up? Help! (I HATE Anxiety)

Darcs is probably right and I'm being insane
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Yes - I assume it's normal to be freaked out by leaving them, but also normal to have short trips away. When Buffy was not even one I had to be in the hospital for a week, with only short visits from her, and she was quite resilient about the whole thing although I'm sure she missed me. I was completely freaked out by it, and again later when I had to go on a few work trips, but eventually it became ok. Parents are often better when they have had a fun break by themselves. Two and six are ages when they're developing relationships with people like grandparents anyway - think of it as a great chance for them to really bond and have fun together. Plus, there is Skype! You can chat periodically and they'll probably be like, sorry lady, Grandma has cookies over here, catch ya later! Seriously, the disinterest displayed during my occasional departures was edifying. Once they know you're out there and ok, they're totally off having fun. They also listen to grandparents better/ sleep better at their house. What's up with that? I do not know, but it's a real thing.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:17 pm

You're over-reacting. He's 2; any (normal) "trauma" he experiences will be temporary, and he'll forget it shortly after it's over. Unless you think your mother is completely incompetent at handling small children, there's almost no chance that lasting damage will occur. Might there be sleepless nights for the kids and your parents? Sure! But that's part of babysitting small children. It's happened to plenty of people throughout history, and yet the human race is still here.

I remember when we weaned our son from breastfeeding. I shipped my wife to South Carolina with some family for a few days. The first night she was away, he was up almost the entire night crying because he wanted to nurse, and I was completely exhausted. The next night, he cried a little bit and then fell asleep. By the third night, he was going to bed without complaint. I cannot prove that any of his current behavioral issues are in any way at all related to that long weekend. :D

Looking back, as a parent whose children are older (12-19 y/o), I would recommend you not let your anxiety keep you from going and enjoying the experience. As long as you are taking reasonable measures and are leaving them with someone who is reasonably competent in child rearing (and who better to know than you whether your parents are capable!), then I say go and have fun!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:47 pm

You just took them to Disney! That should be more than enough to assuage your guilt.

But Elle and Tahlvin are dead on about this. They will be fine. And you will talk to them every night. You might even Skype or Facetime or whatever so that you can actually talk to them face to face. They'll get updates from you every day to hear how much fun you're having and that everything's okay, and they can tell you how awesome Grandma and Grandpa are (hopefully), and it'll all be over way too fast.

Don't burden yourself with extra angst over this. You're a good mom.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks guys, you are seriously the best! I feel better.
Power and Ripp forever

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:10 pm

For anyone going to Concert Against Humanity this year, ! Hot damn!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:31 pm

Okay... and games to bring...

I'm bringing the following (many of them because they fit neatly in my little game case):
Battle Sheep
Cthulhu Dice
Fluxx
Guillotine
Kobolds
Munchkin
Munchkin Legends
Thems Fightin Words
Zombie Cinema
Zombie Dice

Games that I own that I COULD bring if anyone was interested:
Carcasonne
Castle Panic
Dominion
Fastrack
Munchkin Adventure Time
Munchkin Pathfinder
Munchkin Zombies
Pandemic
Poo
Resistor
Settlers of Catan
Smallworld
Ticket to Ride
Zombie Fluxx

What are you bringing?
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:28 am

Bring Settlers! I haven't played it in ages!

I'll bring Dominion and some expansions
Great Dalmuti
I can bring Smallworld, too.
Pandemic

I'm thinking this year I'm going to stash some things in my bag so if we find an open table we can just play :)
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:19 am

Agreed. My wife just bought me an awesome little card case, so Munchkin, Thems Fightin Words, Fluxx, and a couple others all fit neatly in one compact case. I'm taking that everywhere.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:37 pm

I will definitely be bringing:

Betrayal at the House on the Hill
Chrononauts
Chez Geek
Arkham Horror
Legendary
Illuminati
some Magic the Gathering: Commander decks

I might bring:
Aggravation
Castle Panic
Nightmare
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:10 pm

I'm putting Love Letter in my bag cuz it's tiny, and Resistor so that I can have Tony and Nicole sign it if/when we see them again. I'll bring Catan for sure then.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Breath mints or gum, an extra travel deodorant, flushable wipes, anti-chafe powder, at least two extra pairs of socks.

You want to feel fresh as often as you can, to keep your energy up.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:33 pm

Also bringing Superfight (I don't how I forgot this one), and maybe Arena of the Planeswalkers.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:47 am

I was going to say that we just always need Super Fight in a pocket. I love me some Super Fight. Does someone have a VCR for Nightmare? Or is it on YouTube? I feel like there was something else we said we should bring. I want Mike to learn Magic (so I can play with someone who is new and therefore maybe as bad as I am!)! And finally some people who will let me play Chez Geek!
Power and Ripp forever

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:56 am

I'm really looking forward to Chez Geek. I've heard great things about Super Fight. Magic intimidates me.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Chez Geek has one of my all time favorite cards "Harrold the Hoopty Car".

My jealousy may soon reach self-sustaining levels as everybody settles into the show.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:35 pm

Oh seriously. At least I may get a brief visit, but I totally want to go to the whole thing! I would be happy if it was three straight days of Canasta, though, let's be frank.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.

Return to “Nerd Talk”