Girl Shaming

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Girl Shaming

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 am

My parents are boomers. I'm Gen X. My oldest children are Millennials. My youngest children are the next generation after that.

The oldest Millenials are most often the children of later Baby Boomers. The average and younger Millennials tend to be the children of Gen-Xers.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:32 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:55 am

All three of my girls thought it was terribly offensive. Thus, 3>1- I suppose I won this one!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:12 am

And my daughters were split 50/50.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:16 am

Mine were too busy looking at their phones to comprehend the question.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:42 am

When I talk about "Millenials" I'm thinking of the core being those born in the mid-80s until about the year 2000 - thus the name, Millenials, as those who were teenagers or young kids at the turning of the Millenium. I don't know if that's what other people mean by it. However, starting somewhere around 2003 - 2005 - somewhere in there - imo young people changed very markedly in terms of how they discuss and think about things, what they expect from others, what they're prepared for intellectually and how they think about intellectual work, and so on. I can't be sure what this experience means because, after all, it was a time I myself was going through a lot of changes and started identifying a lot less as a young person and more as a parent and "adult" and such. But still - the biggest things are a strong sense of collectivism, wanting to do things as a group, the unwillingness and even inability to disagree in argument and instead a preference for keeping superficial peace on top of underlying total impasse, the failure to grasp concepts like individual ownership of intellectual work and property, a "casualness" of language and manner that affects many things, and the expectation that the rest of the world should be conforming to this rather than the other way around. That is my experience anyway.

And now my experience is that it's changing again. A totally new thing is starting to happen now, about 2015 onward.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:46 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:58 am

Here's another one I forgot and this is a huge one. There was a period of time for about a decade when the young people just did not grasp sarcasm. There are always a couple who do but by and large it would pass over their heads completely undetected and once they did get it they found it very off-putting. Now all of a sudden, just recently, sarcasm is back among this particular age group and everybody finds it amusing.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to “Nerd Talk”