AHCA

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: AHCA

Postby Tahlvin » Fri May 05, 2017 5:21 am

I think my voting strategy from now on will be to always vote AGAINST the incumbent, no matter what party they or their opposition is from.

There are maybe hopeful signs that the senate isn't going to let this piece-of-shit legislation get through. We'll see.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Fri May 05, 2017 11:45 am

We can hope that they never succeed in entirely getting rid of the filibuster! It is a completely misunderstood, and wonderful thing, because the entire PURPOSE of the Senate is to slow things down and stop the majority from doing stupid things. The only way to do that is for the minority to have the ability to entirely shut down things that a simple majority vote would pass that would be detrimental to the country, but were passed by the House, which is, lets face it, ALWAYS running for the next term. It took me a long time to realize that the Senate actually had a purpose and that when Congress did nothing it was a GOOD thing. Please, Senators, DO NOTHING WITH THIS BILL! Don't change it a bit. Don't vote on it. Don't pass it. Don't let it come up for a vote. Let it die the cruel death it deserves.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri May 05, 2017 3:07 pm

I hope it fails, all signs point to it failing, a lot of GOP have come out against this... OH MY GOD I'M TALKING LIKE IT'S OCTOBER 2016 AGAIN.

<Runs Away Screaming>
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun May 07, 2017 10:19 am

Things that have a reasonable chance of happening next year: this bill passing the Senate in a still-terrible form, me changing jobs and thus health insurance; we as a family paying insane amounts or being uninsurable due to pre-existing conditions. Good news: any abortion I'd ever need would be legal provided the ambulance does not take me to a Catholic hospital, and I can get as many guns as I like!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon May 08, 2017 10:51 am

I really like the Idaho congressman who was like, people, nobody DIES from lack of health insurance! You gotta love the clueless honesty. He actually has no earthly idea what the consequences of his decisions are for real human beings, so he can go on wandering through life in a state of ignorance. Why do people elect this dumbass, however? Are they all dumbasses themselves? I struggle to maintain charity in these situations where people are being directly and intensely harmed because of all the collective dumbassery. I get that reasonable people can differ about how to solve problems with health care or what government should be doing, but this is not that situation. This is just sheer, raw stupidity.

Also too much exposure to Republican relatives and friends lately.

Return to “Nerd Talk”