What are you watching?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What are you watching?

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:20 pm

The new national drink! I support it.

When mine killer in Calvin agree on a recommendation that means I have to watch it. This is what the voice to text has chosen to give us and it stays. The point is I miss Jim and Pam because of my sad dumb heart, and so it is wonderful to see Jim as Jack Ryan and I absolutely love it so far. My husband was super excited that Wendell Pierce is in it (as am I), so yay for a show we can agree on watching together!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:23 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:18 am

Only if my killer is in you, which is disturbing. We probably should pass on any new avatars, under the circumstances!
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:23 pm

Still watching Luke Cage season 2, they did a big team up episode with Iron Fist that made me really happy.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Watched some more Jack Ryan; they finally have hit a few episodes that brought out the tired eyerolls. I get that Tom Clancy is all into unrealistic amazing coincidences spurring on the plot, but at times... come the heck on, this is ridiculous. I don't mind that Jack is our multipurpose hero, mild-mannered analyst who can defeat all comers in hand-to-hand combat and shooting. Great, that's kind of the point. But some of these plot miracles could just as well be a Bible story and more believable.

The final straw was [mild spoilers to follow here...] . How hard would it have been to use an effing translator and preserve the illusion of "this could happen, kinda"? Not to mention that Jack should be able to communicate in her language and they could have shown them having a brief convo which then got recapped with Bunk for the benefit of English speaking viewers.

It's also annoying that they're trying both to humanize and monster-ize the bad guys... I guess there's supposed to be some message, complexity, moral conflict, blah blah blah, but it makes me tired. Maybe show us what they do and we can manage to draw our own conclusions about their natures.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:56 am

Poor Tom has been dead since 2013!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Does that change anything?

I'm now along for the passive ride to watch horrible shows about slavery and war and weaponry... what's new.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:34 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:37 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:55 pm

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Watching The Handmaids Tale.

So far this is the deepest satire piece ever.
A real treatise on the dangers of Mormon Theocracy and fascism with a healthy respect for 2nd Amendment concerns and protection for unborn life.

Main fault is that the military will not support another form of government.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:19 am

Finished season one of Jack Ryan on my flights this week, and started on season 3 of Man in the High Castle.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Season 3 of The Good Place. Soon, new season of Doctor Who.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:16 am

just finished Season 2 of Handmaid's Tale. There is no doubting it is social commentary. Lots of rollercoastery feelings though. I disliked the ending of the last episode, but I understand her choice.

I am now watching
Parks & Rec
Community
and The Good Doctor

oh, and Wallander when I can control the dvd layer
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:12 pm

Seriously Jean Claude van Johnson, where you at watchers?

We go on with the Blacklist and it has become INSUFFERABLE so I often go to sleep. The gratuitous cleavage, the hopeless deus ex machina plot in every episode. I haven't checked in much lately with who is writing what, but it used to be written by a big rotating cast of writers, and some were much better than others. The genius who gave us Justin Kirk episode should return. The show is just ... so bad but I watch because James Spader.

Also watching some whole series of war tactics shows, very edifying, but also zzzzzzz and so depressing.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Superstore,
The Orville
One Punch Man
Parks & Rec
Community
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:40 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:53 pm

The Good Place
Doctor Who, now that we have a new doctor.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 am

I'm limping my way through the Haunting of Hill House. It's great so far, through the first five or so episodes.

I'm terrible at watching anything eerie and remotely scary currently, due to malfunctioning brain chemistry. So it's slightly hysterical to need to take two hours to get through a one hour episode, or do the Netflix version of "peek through the fingers" via checking ahead and skipping on the progress bar. Not a lot of jump scares so far, mostly eerie and creepy events in the background. The actual scare attempts are kept lower and used a bit more judiciously than a lot of other, current horror projects.

Don't expect it to be anything like the book or prior adaptations. The house and the caretakers are about the only similarities. It's more a respectful homage to the tone and setting, than an adaptation.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"

Return to “Nerd Talk”