Trump

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
akiva
Melancholy Camper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Trump

Postby akiva » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Yet another Trump senior appointee “forgot” to mention connections to a foreign government during confirmation hearings and paperwork.

How many times will the Senate let these guys lie with impunity?
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:33 pm

I find that if you cry on the bathroom floor, whether tile or linoleum, you get a kind of cool clarity to keep things in perspective.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:08 am

Why do you suppose all these Republicans are retiring from Congress? Coincidence? Many of them didn't expect serious challengers in their red districts, but if they leave it only makes it more likely that Ds will pick up seats. So... why?
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Why spend money, get beaten down in the press, and possibly/probably lose?

Benefits:
- early start searching for your next job as a lobbyist, board member, or... no just those two.
- allows you to be more vocal about your distaste of a certain disliked politician.
- allows you to run again in 2/4/6 years untainted by "we voted you out!"
- if you get reelected, chances are you'll be in the minority party, and given how the minority party has been treated in congress lately (see Hassert Rule), you'll have no power, no say. You're not affecting change, you'll just be grumpy.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:57 am

Not expecting Republicans to fix whatever happens now; not expecting much pushback from Democrats; not expecting the great blue wave in November but will be happy to be proven wrong, should that happen. Don't see how it happens, given the numbers, especially in the Senate.

Meanwhile, GOP leadership in the wake of Ryan's announcement is like, well, on the one hand you have a dude supported by actual Nazis who is too openly Nazi for Breitbart, and on the other hand you have a dude supported by... California liberals! Obviously equivalent - throws up hands, whatcha gonna do? This is our world now. My neighbors are all cool with it.

Hey, speaking of that, just want to make sure we all know that immigrants are in fact being detained, their rights violated, and deaths occurring among them at rates that don't quite make sense. Right now, right here, in the US of A! Some of them are "legal" immigrants because guess what, DACA recipients are legally here. Legally.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Not unhappy to be losing speaker Hindenburg.
Ironic how he says 'It's about my family,' because the utterance of that that sticks in my head is the audio recording of him and other party leaders deciding to pretend they knew nothing about Flynn and Manafort, et al. His recommendation was that the info never see the light of day because, "...this is family."
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:22 am

Lol, so true. His values are pretty different.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 pm

I know I'm the resident aw nothing to see here poster, stop getting worked up, nothing will change blah blah blah

But even the remote idea that HANNITY could do HARD TIME or even EXECUTED FOR TREASON give me half chub
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Sean Hannity is apparently one of three clients represented by Cohen.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Conspiracy theorists have been on this for a long time, so it's not much of a surprise. It's interesting though. The thing is, Trump is President and the Republicans aren't going to remove him from office, and I'll be interested to see if it plays out some other way but I just don't see anything coming of this. There would have to be such obvious evidence, so incredibly clear that even the most entrenched willful idiot would have to acknowledge it. We're in the post truth age, so...
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 am

So, those of you in the sanctuary areas, how's your breeding concept doing? There's some kind of loophole affecting mine, despite best efforts. Huh.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:07 pm

I don't know what breeding concept is.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:21 pm

Thank you future vice president Kayne for showing the courage of your convictions!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/25/politics ... index.html
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:31 am

Trump was tweeting about the breeding concept. Because the kind of person who is worried about immigrants "breeding" has his ear and mind.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:02 pm

I mean...ya'all know the democrats are going to blow it again right?

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/26/ste ... tillemann/
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Progressive candidate near me being screwed over because the party leaders don't understand that hard GOP voters won't switch to their pro choice anti Trump "moderate" anyway, but heavy turnout from D's wins that race, and that's only happening for a progressive.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:43 am

The fox and friends thing that just happened... OMG. I guess part of me has hopes that we would get through the last two years of this thing without any monstrous crisis unfolding. I don't think removing Trump from office is going to go well even if there is hard evidence he's done really bad things. I have that little faith in my fellow citizen at this point. But if this dude can't even keep his story straight on things that have a material impact on his own legal problems, it's terrifying to think about what he's doing with our country's most vital affairs. I can't even comment on the North Korea thing. It was very very secret. Not anymore. Is this some kind of calculated strategy of disinformation and confusion? Or is it really as random and crazy as it seems?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:32 pm

I saw where he made comments about the World Cup bid that also may have been illegal. Something about threatening political repercussions for countries that didn't support a combined North American bid to host the World Cup.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:03 pm

I don't get it. The D's have the numbers advantage in most areas and should push it hard. You don't win unless you run candidates that fire people up to go vote. You'd also think the party would be walking the districts, building phone/car ride trees and a small army of people to help the elderly D voters with absentee ballots. Because if you have the numbers, you need those numbers to vote. Investing in human beings who each will have personal contact with hundreds of actual voters seems a lot more important to me than spending the same amount on one more radio ad, but what do I know?

Another problem is that progressive candidates in Red districts might not look like progressive candidates in Blue districts. Fine with me. The pro-life Democrat is the most obvious example. In some places that's just how it's going to go better and the national party needs to stay the heck out of it when that happens. They do not understand the local realities.

Return to “Nerd Talk”