Top 5 Movies Starring Women

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Top 5 Movies Starring Women

Postby Elle » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:17 pm

It's because you are hot for Gabriel Byrne's professor character, aren't you? Don't worry, I am right there with you. That opera stuff? <3 <3 <3
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Zombie
The Zombdigitty
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zombie » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:12 pm

I tend to agree with Kyle on Fury Road. She's a badass, don't get me wrong, but he gets just as much screen time. Juno should count. Michael Cera's role is essentially a role that women usually settle for. He barely has any scenes, is used more as a plot device, and does not have a character arc. I chose to not include animated/anime films, but a couple good ones have already been mentioned.

My List:

1. Pan's Labyrinth
2. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
3. Short Term 12
4. Pariah
5. Hana

Honorable Mentions:
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Winter's Bone
The Hours
Run Lola Run
Fish Tank
Juno
Amelie
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:52 pm

A lot of you have Aliens, which I am wondering about. Specifically, how do you not prefer Alien to Aliens? I'm thinking of renting Alien for my kids' Halloween party because it's one of the scariest things I have ever seen, and none of them have experienced it. In Aliens you know what's going on, basically, so it's not as scary anymore. That first one just about made me take leave of my skin in at least two scenes. You have no idea what the hell is happening but it's clearly bad, and at the time it was like nothing I had ever seen before. Plus you have the terrifying stuff with Ash. And the cat, which is all-important.

Also a couple of you mentioned Hanna, which I had avoided watching but maybe am up for trying now. Presumably worth it? But is it a scary sort of movie I don't want my 13 year old watching?
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:33 am

The one drag to Alien is it's almost an hour in before things start getting good and scary. Yes, Kane gets facehugged a bit before that, but there's a long build to get through before the screaming and the attacks. If you think they can hold out for an hour of tension go for it.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:15 pm

There is definitely violence, and a lot of it very casual (which is part of what the film is commenting on). And there's some tense scenes of a child having to hide while scary killer person hunts for her--like kids hiding from raptors in Jurassic Park. I wouldn't have a problem with my 13-year-old watching, but you decide how sensitive your child is.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Alien and Aliens are two really great movies in two completely different genres. Alien is one of the best horror films ever made, while Aliens is pretty much a pure action film. Both of them qualify for this category because Ripley is, without a doubt, the star of both. I included Aliens simply because I liked it better. I'm not as much of a fan of horror as I am of action. However, in terms of pure quality, I'd rate them about equal.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Reika
Pastry Artisan

Postby Reika » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:30 pm

I know I've mentioned my childhood trauma with Alien which is why Aliens got the rating from me. So Alien would probably be an honorable mention. ;)
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:22 pm

I remember you saying something about this but not all the details! It scared the living bejeezus out of me and my family.
Reika
Pastry Artisan

Postby Reika » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:18 pm

bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:23 pm

Alien, for the creeping dread
You didn't care for Monster?
I'd argue Gone with the Wind, with a nod to Wizard of Oz
Am I dating myself if I mention Norma Rae and Silkwood?
Chocolat
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Evil Dead (the remake)

I appreciated Monster for its amazing performances, but ultimately did not really enjoy it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:52 pm

I have not seen Monster and should remedy that, so thanks for the reminder. I loved Norma Rae, Silkwood, and Chocolat. I think Gone with the Wind counts because that's all Scarlett's story no matter who else pops in and out. Not my favorite movie, no, but counts.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:18 pm

Feel dumb missing Amelie. Of course, Amelie!

Return to “Nerd Talk”