Dog and Raisins

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dog and Raisins

Postby Elle » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:25 am

Anyone ever had a dog eat raisins? Talk to me about what degree of financial pain is actually supported by research in this event, because it's hard when you have to deal with scammers who think they're smarter than you.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Re: Dog and Raisins

Postby Eliahad » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:28 am

Don't they just poop the raisins out? I mean, it's going to be a little unpleasant for both of you, but not financially so...I mean, were these chocolate covered raisins? That would be different...
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:47 am

We're not big eaters of raisins, so we haven't had a chance to experiment on feeding them to the dog. However, our dog does LOVE frozen blueberries.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:11 pm

Whatever you do, do NOT feed raisins to your dog.

:horrified: :horrified: :horrified:

Apparently some of them die of kidney failure and others get kidney damage, and it's probably a small percentage, but the vets appear to be unable to science on this one and instead just recommend extremely expensive interventions that you'll have zero way of knowing whether you need until the damage is already being done. I think I aged a good six months off my life with this shit and am so exhausted overall I almost fainted twice at work today. Good times.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:46 am

Luckily, none of my mom's dogs were hurt, but she used to love feeding them grapes. A vet let her know that grapes were not good for any dog.

The purple balls are no longer enjoyed, which makes me a little sad.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:50 am

It is sad because apparently some dogs will eat them without the slightest problem in the world. But then some percentage of dogs will have kidney damage and some smaller percentage of those will even die from it. In short this is the ideal scenario for the veterinarian to milk as much money as humanly possible out of people.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:04 am

I did not know this! I have learned today.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Dogs consume many objects/substances that imperil them, from sugarless gum and chocolate, to stones and pleather. Some threats have been characterized as 'allergic,' so some breeds/dogs are in dire danger, others, very little. I have a chocolate eating dog who seems to have serious DR vs chocolate. Part of the difficulty is the tendency of the dog to eat ALL of whatever it is, bag of raisins, chocolate cream pie, etc, so high doses are the norm.
Unless it is something like giving your dog triple flea treatments, which will cause convulsions, but for which there is apparently an antidote, my vet's advice was "By the time you find out, it's likely too late. Take him to an area that's easy to clean. Give him plenty of water. You can get his stomach pumped if you want...." We did have surgery performed on one dog, recovering several rocks and a 20 sided die. He occasionally still eats (and manages to vomit) anything marble sized - which the world is surprisingly full of, btw. He is also still alive. Best of luck
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:37 pm

LOL 20 sided die, but the poor doggie and poor dog parents!

Return to “Nerd Talk”