College Roommates

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

College Roommates

Postby Elle » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:09 am

Did you ever have roommates in college? Suitemates, apartment mates, whatever? I had one. She was such a bitch, it is unbelievable to me even this many years later in hindsight. I have no idea what I did wrong to offend her and it helped reinforce a significant difficulty in trusting other women. After that I shared a suite and tiny bathroom with a bunch of older guys. That was its own unique form of hell. Then I got lucky and wound up in a small dorm full of totally shy, studious types. It was paradise. Nobody was ever in the TV room and most of us went to bed around 10:30. We would all be in there brushing teeth at 10, lol!

I lived with one other person before marriage and that was okay because he was an extremely cleanly, easygoing person to live with. Would not have worked for marital purposes but for roommate purposes, absolutely stellar. Probably without that positive experience I would have had trouble ever sharing living quarters with another person. It is very hard when you grow up an only child, used to your privacy, in a completely sanitary environment, with almost no impositions upon you whatsoever.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Re: College Roommates

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:54 am

Had a few roommates freshman year, when things were so crowded the young fit three of us into a room made for two. Got along well with one of them, but the two of us didn't get along well with the third. He was an only child, so he did things like slam doors and stomp around loudly when he had early morning classes and the rest of us were trying to sleep in.

Sophomore year, I roomed with a friend of mine from high school. That was a bit of a mistake, and he and I aren't as close friends as we once were as a resuLet.

Junior year, I got an apartment. Share it with my sister for a semester, then she transferred to a different school and I had it all to myself for the next semester. It was heavenly!

Senior year, I only went one semester, since I graduated early, so I moved back into a dorm and had a freshman as a roommate. Completely different personalities, different class schedules, but we got along okay. It was only for one semester, and I wasn't in the dorm all that much anyways by that time.

After graduation, I lived at home for a couple months, working temporary jobs, until my wife graduated, we got married, and then we moved. That's a story I believe I've already told elsewhere on the boards...
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:29 am

Um... How awesome is DMDarcs?
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:13 pm

So awesome.

But it's ok, you can tell them the truth.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:34 pm

My one college roommate was a J.A.P. and totally horrendous to live with. I am not a neat person, and my room was a mess, and I'm heard to live with due to that, but she was just a mean horrible person. She now teaches kindergarten which kind of terrifies me. After that I had a single (the only room in the tower of a Victorian mansion). I had my friends downstairs, but my own space. After college, I lived at home. Then married DMDarcs, and have lived with him ever since.

He is awesome, btw. He probably prefers when he lived with Eliahad though ;)
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:56 pm

I was not meant to live in a 12 x 16 box with another human being. All of my college room mate experiences were unpleasant.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:12 pm

My freshman year roommate was a soccer player who was pretty much just there. We got along well enough, but I spent most of my time across campus at the "Small Housing" units where most of my friends who were upperclassmen lived. My sophomore year I moved into the one of the "Small Housing" units, called "Roach House" (though it was named after a local lawyer, Roy Roach, not after any kind of illicit activity) My roommate there was a physics major with very few social skills. We got along great. Of course, I spent a lot of time at my girlfriend's room during those years... We lived in Roach House for two years, then as Seniors we moved to the Upperclassmen dorms and got adjoining singles, with me getting the "double-single" and him getting the tiny one. He couldn't make the selection day so I picked for both of us, but I did it fair and I did get the lower number for myself legitimately! (I also was going to be having two people in the room most of the time and he wasn't, so it was a good thing I got the bigger room.) He graduated in December and one of my best friends from back in high school moved into his room for the last half of the year.

Our college was "residential only" so everyone had to live on campus if they weren't a "townie". So it pretty much guaranteed roommates or suite-mates every year.

After college we got married that August and have been married for 28 years.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:46 am

Freshman triple, with a one-eyed blackjack player from Syracuse, and a hockey player from Manhattan. I'm still on friendly terms with the blackjack player, and he's the head cook at my school. The kind of thing whee we touch base a few times a year, I'd buy him a beer if we were at the same bar, etc. The hockey player vanished after the first semester. We were part of a suite that was all upperclassmen, and only Bernard had any success with them, in that they let him take their money periodically, in return for him not really showing them how to win at blackjack.
Moved into a suite of mixed class nerds down the hall. Wargamers, etc. History based practical jokes, third floor rituals involving rappelling down the building, dangerous sleds, and the like. It was a good couple years, and I attended most of their weddings, but then lost touch.
Crashed academically, and moved across campus into a traditional hallway, realizing finally that my coping strategy for claustrophobia was simply to be elsewhere, often gaming all night (hence the academic crash). Facebook contact with the old roommate still.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:54 am

Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:02 pm

Perhaps we went for the same reasons
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."

Return to “Nerd Talk”