Who portrayed Darth Vader?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Who portrayed Darth Vader?

Postby poorpete » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Been sharing this question, for later use as a Me Like Trivia Really Really Difficult Trivia Question, but want guesses from people I haven't asked this question to:

As of 1990, so before the prequels and special additions, how many people portrayed Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy and what did they portray?

Clue: no one was replaced.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Who portrayed Darth Vader?

Postby Eliahad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Well, there was James Earl Jones who did the voice over work. There was the guy in the suit when the helmet was on, and I think the actor when the helmet was off was actually a different actor than the guy in the suit. I'm also guessing that someone else was involved in the heavy breathing sound effects that /wasn't/ James Earl Jones, but I don't know. Orrrrr am I going about this question in entirely the wrong way?
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:02 pm

So James Earl Jones is the voice of adult Darth.

Someone Prowse... not Juliet... but maybe David Prowse is the guy who runs around inside the costume, which I believe I know thanks to looking at some video Ronster posted, so thanks Ron!

Hayden... not Panatierre, but another Hayden... good looking as all heck, tragically earnest acting... CHRISTENSEN. That's adolescent teenage new daddy Darth Vader.

Jake Lloyd is small child Darth, if that counts, or maybe he's only ever Anakin. Are we counting Anakin as the same person? That's a philosophy question for you, something about rigid designators and shit like that. Whatevs.

Then there's another dude whose face we see when Darth is unmasked, and I have no idea who that dude is.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:10 pm

I believe that the person who portrayed Vader without his helmet (in Return of the Jedi) was not Dave Prowse, but I don't know who it was.

And what about the Vader without his helmet in Empire? Not sure if that's the same guy in Jedi.
Reel on a repeating loop
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:01 pm

David Prosser was Vader's body yes.

In more fun trivia, he was Christopher Reeves body building / fitness coach in Superman.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:15 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:24 pm

That is cool, ya. Okay, I can't read directions very well, or pay attention. So scratch the prequel people!

Someone in Wisconsin, probably Tahlvin's dad, once played Darth Vader at an ice cream stand and handed out ice cream comes to kids like me, including me.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:27 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:16 am

Ok, two more clues: David Prowse and this person could not play Vader at the same time. Also this guy also was involved in The Princess Bride.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:40 am

Andre the Giant!
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Actually, little known fact, Vader has six fingers on his right hand. That finger was played by, you guessed it, Christopher Guest.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:37 pm

Sebastian Shaw is the third person who portrayed Darth Vader. James Earl Jones was the voice, David Prowse was the costumed version, and the puffed up dying version without the helmet was Sebastian Shaw. He died in 1994.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Indeed, add Ben Burtt, all that leaves is one more guy. A guy they brought in after New Hope and it shows. What did he do?
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:16 pm

Was he the hologram?
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:26 am

Nope!

The guy did the same thing in Princess Bride. What does Darth Vader do that the Dread Pirate Roberts also do?
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:58 am

Swordfighting? I.e. lightsaber fighting?
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:06 am

Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:07 am

Ahhhhhh! I would never have known that, or who he is, but that is cool!

Return to “Nerd Talk”