Conspiracy theories

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Conspiracy theories

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 am

I answered Kyle's question on the podcast about why people believe in conspiracy theories, and I don't know how good my answer was.

I don't think I was necessarily wrong, but it was incomplete for sure. A more sympathetic response is that conspiracy theories provide comfort. Sometimes that's just the comfort of assuaging your own cognitive dissonance. I.e. -- admitting that X is true means admitting that I've been horribly wrong about Y and Z my whole life, which would mean I've been a bad person. Much better to believe that X is just a huge conspiracy.

But also, conspiracy theories for some help bring order to a scary chaotic world. If a deranged person can shoot up an elementary school in Connecticut then that sort of thing can happen anywhere and to anyone, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. But if I buy into the whole CIA false flag theory, then there's reasons why things happen, and no actual children were harmed. Better to believe the conspiracy than to think the world is random and dangerous.

And then of course you have people who may or may not believe, but are happy to sell the conspiracy because it advantages them politically or financially or whatever.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
akiva
Melancholy Camper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Conspiracy theories

Postby akiva » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 pm

The best explanation for belief in conspiracy theories that I've come across is Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. Amazing book. It hits a lot of the same points Mike made.
Reel on a repeating loop
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:49 pm

I've always maintained that the global consipiraces are actually at the core, very optimistc.

If a cabal of shadow men were controlling the world, even ones that don't have our best interests in mind, even if they are willing to do awful things, it still maintains that yes, someone is thinking very carefully about the future of mankind and what that looks like.

In truth, what if the world was ran by a bunch of short sighted, mostly lucky, mostly kind of stupid people with no real grasp on the environmental damage or any other kind of damage they are doing the world and no one has a real plan outside the next 20 years.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:49 am

comfort...and it gives them something to keep the mind occupied...
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:19 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:23 am

Billionaires have private islands where they keep underage sex slaves and if one of them gets caught they're suicided in jail while 2-3 false flag shootings occur to misdirect the public away from the truly important information. This is not a conspiracy it is reality
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Oh, if I had Epstein's supposed money, with the expectation of someday being prosecuted for crimes for which both the formal and informal penalties would be the worst, and I supposedly had leverage over some of the most powerful people on earth, I would have found a ringer for my physical body and already would have had a plan in place to bring that poor man to the jail, hang him there, and then escape to some unregistered island somewhere to live out the rest of my days while everyone assumed I had committed suicide and was busy fighting over which political party or nation's bad representative was responsible.

The takeaway moral here is: be cautious about working as a body double or decoy for extremely wealthy and powerful people, because you might not know what they really need you for.

Return to “Nerd Talk”