Trump

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Trump

Postby bralbovsky » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:26 pm

I stand corrected on Afghanistan, my bad. I guess Putin does maybe want it back after all. At least he hinted at his irritation that we were still there

"Putin added Thursday that it remains to be seen whether Trump will actually deliver on his withdrawal promise. "How long has the U.S. been in Afghanistan? 17 years? And almost every year they say they’re pulling out their troops," he said.

Timing of course is sketchy and indicates that 45 is indeed a big, hairy lapdog.

NB: That we have had uniforms and guns, (for decades!) in places where we clearly don't have solid plans or purposes is disgusting and wasteful. Having said that, there are places in the world that need our presence, or someone's who is a proxy for what we used to stand for. Fleeing or abandoning those places has become a trademark of one of our major parties. We always leave a mess, which jackals come to claim. We can debate about which circumstance is more disgusting and wasteful, and perhaps which more cowardly.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:10 pm

I perfectly understand what I'm saying and who I'm saying it to.

I think this is a amazing thing and hopefully the death rasp of neocons, Mad Dog can go away forever, maybe when he dies we can name a mass grave after him.

I'm using absurd language to highlight the absurd nature of war and the even more absurd nature of arguing for a eternal war in the desert in hopes that a pack of savages can stop killing each other in order to form a stable civilization. Not a single american kid is worth bleeding out in the desert to pursue that futile dream
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:56 am

All true, yet coulda been said any of the other thousands of days we were pursuing that dream. Yet suddenly a lot of people (not you) who aren't known for their great love of peace are moved to say it on the day that Trump did his Russian daddy's bidding.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:01 pm

The obvious issue with trying to paint a president as a failure if the stock market is going poorly is you have to begrudgingly admit the opposite if its doing fantastic.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:28 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:09 pm

Well yea of course but now its HISTORICALLY UP. And you're right, the whims of the market are almost supernatural at times in terms of what drives it but yea, but yea, it's building a house on sand that's all.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:30 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:37 pm

The headlines about this are high-larious and include words like "miraculous"! IT WAS A MIRACLE that the Dow went up or down a certain amount!
:roll:
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:58 pm

When the market is this insane, it usually portends things to come...shudder.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:44 pm

We are all so hopelessly f*****. Please, please just let it ride out with as little death and destruction as possible until 2020. Please let Warren's announcement strike terror into the hearts of, well, everyone who still has a heart, and let it be the impetus for any of a thousand better candidates to claw their way forward.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:26 am

The fragmenting Women's March on the 19th and then then State of the Union a few days later is going to be a fun time. 2019 is going to be chaos. Madness in all directions.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:24 am

The national women's March is over imo; all the important stuff is happening at the state level movement. This is what happens when you have corrupt, bigoted leadership.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:33 pm

trump saying the USSR was right to invade Afghanistan right after talking about how the secret service has the best machine guns is funnier than any actual professional "comedian"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:32 pm

John Bolton is the cautious one.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:25 pm

Trump's address tomorrow is an early start of the season for people who can't be bothered to google how TV ratings work making and sharing memes about how to "sabotage" Trump's address/SOTU ratings to "show him what America *truly* wants".
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 pm

One thing I can't understand-

Why are so many Dems hostile to Bernie Sanders?

Pretty clear in 2016 Bernie would have won.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:05 pm

Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:16 am

The real collusion was the friends we made along the way.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:04 pm

God I can't wait for the Kamala Harris announcement next week. Can't wait to catch the Harris fever!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 am

Obviously I preferred Obama to Romney in their race because, come on, it was Obama vs. Romney. But I remember thinking so many negative things about Romney's potential that have not borne out to be true. He's probably the one Republican most misjudged by me. I tended to forget that until he went up against Obama he was very moderate compared to other Republicans. And we don't know what his votes are going to look like going forward, but maybe he's the one person we can trust to pick up where Flake and McCain left off, and hopefully take it a step further with actual voting than either of those two guys did. I'm so tired of the ones who give the lip service to disagreeing with their party's worst, but 99% of the votes say otherwise. Also today: the special cravenness of those who finally did something about Steve King only now that they think they've got a winning candidate to replace him and he's actually vulnerable in his Iowa race....

Return to “Nerd Talk”