What are you watching?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What are you watching?

Postby El Jefe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:31 pm

The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby WillyGilligan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:24 pm

The Rookie. Nathan Fillion plays a man in his 40s who uproots his whole life as a contractor in PA to become a police officer in Los Angeles after his divorce. His Chief doesn't like him because serve and protect doesn't include supporting a mid-life crisis. The supporting cast is strong and it's Fillion doing his trademark balance of humor and heart. What's not to like? I mean, it's a lot like Castle with a twist - but I liked Castle, and I think the twist works.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Did I say Ozark? Has really devolved for me. A totally depressing, violent, terrifying show. It's like watching a reality show about civil war or random violence in a refugee camp. At this point I try to sleep through it, but I can sort of hear what's happening and then I wake up for all these horrifying scenes.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Jim Halpert is gaslighting his coworker Dwight Schrute and im sick of it
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Just worked our way into season 5 of The Wire. Season 4 was definitely the weakest season so far. Season 5 looks like it is stepping up to take that title. Great show so far, thrilled that I watch. Just a little disappointed with the last two seasons.

Mr. Robot Season 2 makes me want to set things on fire. Possibly people as well. Maybe even TV writers?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:52 am

Yeah like most shows there's probably some falling off, but overall the whole thing is just one of the best TV things ever.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:06 pm

I just don't care about kids and the plight of inner city schools to the degree that i cared about every other topic explored so yea I'm with you on season 4 being kind of weak but weak Wire is still better then 99 percent of everything else.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:40 pm

Halfway through Season 5. Writers need to be profusely beaten about the head, repeatedly. This shit is painfully bad. No idea what the fuck happened here.

Admittedly, the bit about McDipshit sitting through the FBI profiling session was pretty damn funny. The twenty-seven other bits with entire characters spinning off in wildly out of character directions is weird and lazy writing. The whole "cops gone wrong" angle is incredibly badly done. Really hoping there's some payoff with the ending, but very much not hopeful.

Omar's storyline conclusion is both really disappointing and totally worth it. Sure...not who you expected to bring his storyline to a close. So yeah, disappointing. Also, not who you expected to bring his storyline to a close. Nice!

All that being said, the first three seasons were glorious. Even season 4 had the strong parts outweigh the mistakes. So far season 5 is failing that test badly.

Edit: Just recently tried to start both Get Shorty and Luther (as I'm a fan of both main actors). Not much success so far, as I'm struggling to get through the opening episodes. I'd wager that's more to do with current headspace, than actual issues with the shows. Travelers season 3 is the next one on the list, starting during the holiday week.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Travelers is so dumb but the seasons are short and its watchable cheese even tho its so obvious it's being made in bland Canada.

Origns season 1:Youtube premium show about a group of colonists waking up to a almost empty ship and a lot of bad problems that can kill them in bad ways. Filmed Lost style with the story being progressed with a focus on a single character every episode to show how they ended up on the colony ship in the first place.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:57 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:10 pm

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:57 pm

The Wire's finished. It couldn't have happened soon enough. Season 5 was a freaking mess. At least it ended with Lester and Mcnulty being nowhere near a badge forevermore. Great show overall, but that last season just needed to not happen at all.

Just started Travelers 3. Not at all how I expected this one to open the season.
SumDumTrim
Pastry Artisan

Postby SumDumTrim » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Happy!

Dark, funny, you will wonder if someone is fucking with you. Loved it. Binged it all in one day.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:32 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:53 pm

The new Vanity Fair on Amazon, which is AMAZING simply because Martin Clunes plays Sir Pitt Crawley. In one moment all of my dreams came true; keep in mind that Martin Clunes has a special called a Man and his Dogs, and of course, Sir Pitt Crawley is the original Man and his Dogs. Ahhhhhh me, overtaken by lust.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Futureman

Superstore

Community
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:48 pm

Vanity Fair was really good. Then we watched this Amazon movie called Life Itself, which was hopelessly bad - like one step up from a Hallmark Christmas movie type of bad. And yet my husband loved it. I was so fascinated by that and somewhat touched that I couldn't find it in my heart to detest the movie completely, though I'm pretty sure it was deserved.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 am

Skin wars. You would not think that this show would be appealing, oh, hahaha, but it is. Some of the things they do are just astonishingly great, but I think part of the appeal is that about half the time you feel like you could have done a better job, so you end up trying to think about what you would have done. In that respect it's like that fashion show, project runway.

Return to “Nerd Talk”