NPR Fitness Group

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: NPR Fitness Group

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:46 pm

Went in for elliptical. 1-2 interval, with progressive resistance every 2 cycles until I could barely go full 1 minute of high intensity.

Felt good after an hour. Gym too full to do reasonable strength training.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:19 am

Ran 3.5 miles in 30 minutes this morning. First time running in months, after injuring my calf. Everything feels good so far. If things are okay tomorrow morning, I'll try another 3.5 mile run, then starting Monday, I'll try my normal weekday 15 minute/2 mile run and see how it goes.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:32 am

Since the flood, there’s been a lot of beer drunk. Enough that my liver left me a voicemail asking for a break. So now I’m celebrating Sober November! Hopefully I’ll lose some weight too, without the extra 600-700 calories a day from alcohol.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:39 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:41 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:16 pm

FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:32 pm

When I started in 2 months ago, leg press was 160 pounds. Now, 200 pounds. Along with a number of improvements to my body that I am liking. Still has yet to lose weight but can do a lot more that I had trouble doing before though!

Clue in ancient Greece.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:24 am

Restarted my gym membership, but haven't made it in yet. My excuse is that we have three drivers juggling 2 vehicles, but in reality the 15-20 pounds I've gained since retiring have pushed me from mild embarrassment to moderate shame. I know that once I make it through the doors it will stop feeling like hostile territory again. Just building the momentum.

I'm also trying a 24 hour fast today and will probably start up Whole30 again in the next week.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:20 am

FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Turned out that I actually lost 10 pounds in 2 months. This is the rate I am aiming at.

My workplace just implemented a fitness program, where i get to work out 3 hours a week. Already carved out time, and looking likely that I will be working out 5-6 times a week, easily. This is the first week, and already worked out 4 times, plus 1 hour-long walk. Likely one more session tomorrow.

So yeah.

Diet is gradually changing. I am now down to 1 bottle of soda/day (need caffeine for my math brain).

More wholesome choices like mixed nuts, etc. More conscious choices lately. Though, I like to treat myself a bit on Fridays with different types of lunch.

I am finding that increased protein intake and exercising seems to be boosting my cognitive load quite a bit.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:56 am

:banana: :banana: :banana:
Way to go, keep it up!!!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:22 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Heh, ran 400 m today. Done. I envy those of you who can run. It's kind of weird that there are other things I can do, like destroy an exercise bike for a half an hour, but ask me to run and I'm lying on the floor panting for mercy within minutes.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:47 pm

It’s definitely something where you have to take it easy and work up gradually, to faster speeds and/or longer distances. And breathing is important. For people not used to running, you have to pay attention to your breathing pattern and find a rhythm that works for you. I usually breath in for two steps then out for two.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 am

Humor: heard from one of the trainers at gym - who was telling this to a very small person who was struggling with the exercise bike - that bigger people have an easier time on it just because of their greater weight. Apparently its easier for us to exert force on the bike. LOL. Thanks, guy. Now explain why my squat gnome legs don't prevent me from rowing as fast as all you elves on the rower. I'll wait.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:33 am

Ran 10 miles this morning, in 79.5 minutes. The first nine mile at an 8 minutes/mile pace, and the last at 7:30 minutes/mile. The 8 minute/mile pace was easy, and I felt like I could have kept doing that for awhile longer. That would have give me a half-marathon time of 1 hour 45 minutes, which would be a personal record. My best half marathon was just a hair over 2 hours about 6 years ago.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Woah! Congrats, man, that's impressive!
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Elliptical says 5 miles in an hour for me. Though, my aim is pretty much 1 minutes max intensity, 2 minutes moderate.

I'm likely burning something. 10 pounds in 3 months has to count for something. 40 more to go. Gonna try to keep weight loss steady as much as possible, knowing that if not steady, it could bounce back easily.

Starting to seriously cut out junk food. Noticing that junk food does havoc on my bowels lately, so that's easy to stop eating that kind of food.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:02 am

I’m doing a squat challenge this month. 40 prisoner squats this morning. Wow.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:49 am

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “Nerd Talk”